• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest left a message with a colleague

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest left a message with a colleague

While outside of the office on a break, Capquest called my work number today and left a message with a colleague stating that they were calling from Capquest and could I call them back.

I'm not aware that I have any outstanding debts, let alone any through Capquest. I have had no correspondence to my home address, nor any calls to my home or mobile number. This call is completely out of the blue. They asked for me by first and surname so they know who I am.

I do not know how they got my work number as I have never given that number to anyone outside of the business. We're not allowed to take personal calls so I have never given anyone that number.

I shall be calling them shortly to find out what they think I owe, but I am mortified that they have disclosed where they were calling from to a colleague. I do not wish my colleagues to know that I may have an outstanding debt.

Having read the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines I have come across this:
    Quote:
    Physical/psychological harassment
    3.6 Putting undue pressure on debtors or relevant third parties27 (for example, appointed representatives) is considered to be oppressive and an unfair or improper practice
    3.7 Examples of unfair or improper practices are as follows:
    inappropriately disclosing, or threatening to disclose, debt details to third parties
    acting in a way likely to be publicly embarrassing to the debtor, either deliberately or negligently (that is to say, through lack of care)
    For example:
    using postcards or other correspondence, or leaving answer phone messages (including via interactive voice messaging (IVM)36), in a way which may disclose to someone other than the intended recipient the involvement of a debt recovery business
    asking others to pass on messages to debtors, and in so doing potentially revealing to them that the intended recipients of such messages are being pursued for repayment of debts

Given the above are just 'guidelines' do I have a cause to complain? In my job if I were to disclose to a third party where I am calling from I would be sacked for breach of the DPA! I know they haven't disclosed any personal details, but stating that they are calling from a DCA is enough to cause embarrassment and distress.

How is the best way to deal with this? Firstly there's the question of the unknown debt (which I know I can call them to ask for details) then there's the disclosure to a third party. Can they contact me at work in this manner? If I ask them not to use my work number, do they have to oblige?
    Tags: None

Re: Capquest left a message with a colleague

Yes, you have a legitimate complaint.

Note that when you ring they will certainly attempt to elict all sorts of personal information from you. It would also be wise to use 141 to ensure (switchboard routed calls may be different), that they cannot capture the number you are calling from.

Comment

Are calls to your place of work recorded?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
        Yes, you have a legitimate complaint.

Note that when you ring they will certainly attempt to elict all sorts of personal information from you. It would also be wise to use 141 to ensure (switchboard routed calls may be different), that they cannot capture the number you are calling from.
        My home landline number is automatically withheld.

They have my home number too. Quite annoyed at they could have left a message on my home number but didn't.

Originally posted by labman View Post
        Are calls to your place of work recorded?
        Unfortunately not.

Comment

Sadly I think it's one of those cases you can pursue via their own complaints, but you're unlikely to get far following any route, however wrong they were to do it.

If you are going to phone them, try to record it just in case - a smartphone usually has a recording feature and just put your landline on loudspeaker. We can post a 'Prove It' letter for you if you want, which basically says you don't know what the debt is for, will they tell you in posh words. :beagle:

Comment

Thank you very much for the offer, but I had found a copy of a prove it letter already. I shall send that separately to any complaint.

I shall send in a complaint about the disclosure, although I won't hold my breath! I don't want any monetary recompense, I want them to acknowledge that they made a mistake, apologise for it and deal with the member of staff who made the call (not that they will!).

I guess I'm angry at them because I know the consequences I would face if I made such a mistake at work. I would never dream in a million years of disclosing of where I'm calling from to a third party!

Comment

I totally understand that - it's annoying they get away with it, but with no definitive proof ...........:beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X