• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gothia & Information Commissioners Office??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gothia & Information Commissioners Office??

Hi,

I received an email today from Gothia saying that due to an administrative error they held the incorrect details about me and that they will be reporting it to the information commissioners office and the credit services association.

What does this mean? Is it something serious?

Thanks for your help
    Tags: None

Re: Gothia & Information Commissioners Office??

I would certainly ask Gothia to provide you with full details of what they are reporting to the ICO and why. There is a requirement to report remarkable incidents involving personal data to the ICO. Ask Gothia for details, then you will know for sure. If you want to come back onto this thread for further advice, please feel free to do so.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Be careful this could be ruse to get you to contact them.

Personally I would not, if you must , don't give them any personal information and withhold your number.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
        Be careful this could be ruse to get you to contact them.

Personally I would not, if you must , don't give them any personal information and withhold your number.
        Good point, Andy. Razza, check with the ICO first to see if Gothia have, indeed, reported anything to them regarding your personal data. If that draws a blank, then be guided by the first sentence in Andy's post. If this is the case, report to OFT Credit Fitness for use of deceitful practices. I know Gothia of old and the only thing they seem to listen to is a Letter Before Action.

Comment

Originally posted by razza View Post
          Hi,

I received an email today from Gothia saying that due to an administrative error they held the incorrect details about me and that they will be reporting it to the information commissioners office and the credit services association.

What does this mean? Is it something serious?

Thanks for your help
          Have you had any dealings with Gothia in the past?

This sounds like a ruse to get you to contact them, a mild variation of the phishing emails that say you need to update your account details or it will be suspended.

If you haven't dealt with them before, there's no reason they should hold any details about you. As they've just sent an email, it is possible they may be trying to get those details off you, such as your address and phone number, with the excuse of reporting to the regulators. If you had any debts over the past few years, it is possible that one of them may have been passed on to Gothia for collection and they are trying to locate you. :sad:

Comment

give em nothing they have your details if not tough

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
              Have you had any dealings with Gothia in the past?

This sounds like a ruse to get you to contact them, a mild variation of the phishing emails that say you need to update your account details or it will be suspended.

If you haven't dealt with them before, there's no reason they should hold any details about you. As they've just sent an email, it is possible they may be trying to get those details off you, such as your address and phone number, with the excuse of reporting to the regulators. If you had any debts over the past few years, it is possible that one of them may have been passed on to Gothia for collection and they are trying to locate you. :sad:
              Nope, I've never dealt with them in my life. They sent me a email a few days earlier with the incorrect name!

Comment

Razza,

As per Andy's warning, this could be a ruse to get you to contact Gothia. Contact ICO, as per my advice, and then OFT Credit Fitness if Gothia are confirmed as telling porkies.

Comment

I shouldn't think the ICO would be at all amused if they knew they were being used for phishing.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    I shouldn't think the ICO would be at all amused if they knew they were being used for phishing.
                    I don't think Gothia would exactly take well to having the ICO hit them with a fine. The ICO has recently hit someone with a £420,000 fine. The maximum is £500,000. Gothia, if you're reading this, take note and inwardly digest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X