• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

STATUTE BARRED ADVICE Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STATUTE BARRED ADVICE Please

Hi Folks

I am trying to find out for sure the details on statute barred.

I have been searching all day and have come up with lots of contradictory advice!!

Can anyone please confirm if a credit card debt originally taken out whilst living in England becomes statute barred after 5 years if you have since moved to Scotland?

Some people are saying no it stays with English law if that's where you took out the agreement originally others are saying there is a 3 or 6 month residency requirement among various other options!!

Does anyone actually know for sure?

Thanks in advance

Billy
    Tags: None

Re: STATUTE BARRED ADVICE Please

:bump:

Comment

IMHO it depends on the jurisdiction where you reside. After all they cannot use the Northampton Bulk Centre for cases in Scotland or Northern Ireland. Both countries whilst part of the UK have their own laws. The Limitation Order in NI is practically identical to the English one but as some of the DCAs found out there is a subtle difference. CRAPquest mass mailed a load of SDs a few years back and they werent worth the paper they were printed on because the had used the wrong legislation

Comment

Hi Everyone

I have been given this advise by a debt advisor.....

What if I have moved to Scotland from England?

If you were living in England when you took on the debt but have now moved to Scotland, whether or not the debt will be statute barred after 5 years will depend on how long you have been resident in Scotland.
        Normally you will need to have been resident in Scotland for 6 months for the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 to apply to your debts.

It may help someone else some day!

Billy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X