• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help dealing with another persons debts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help dealing with another persons debts!

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
    You may open these letters. Do however ensure that you are discreet with regard to the information that they contain, lest you be accused of breaching the Data Protection Act.. . .

. . . . If they ignore this and continue to send letters, complain to ICO (the Office of the Information Commissioner) that they have breached the DPA
    You may not lawfully open letters addressed to someone other than yourself (the intended recipient) :scared:

How would Hillesden have breached the DPA by sending a letter addressed to the previous owner/tenant?

If the letter was addressed to "the occupier" (which the OP can quite properly open since she is the occupier) and it disclosed personal information (data) such as "we are trying to trace Mrs Plan B because she owes us lots of money" then that would be a different story :nono:

cpc85 you should send these letters back unopened, and I mean this in a good way, you can feel free on this occasion to justifiably 'mind your own business'

Comment

Thanks for the info!

With the letter that i opened it had a return adress on the back of the envelope to what i searched on google as a sorting office in Bristol not the adress of DLC/Hillesden?

So when the next letter comes and i return it will it go back to the correct place? also do i need to put a stamp on the envelope?

Sorry if i sound nieve

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        You may not lawfully open letters addressed to someone other than yourself (the intended recipient)
        Hmm. Like to see some case law on that one. Can't see this is being classed as interference with the mail. Property abandoned on land normally becomes the property of the landowner.

How would Hillesden have breached the DPA by sending a letter addressed to the previous owner/tenant?
        With the initial letter, they may claim that they genuinely did not know. That's why you send them a carefully worded response. When they ignore it (which most DCA's do), and then knowingly send further confidential information to the wrong address, they are nicely set up for a complaint to ICO.

cpc85 you should send these letters back unopened, and I mean this in a good way, you can feel free on this occasion to justifiably 'mind your own business'
        Most do not have a return address on the outside. This is so the target has no clue as to the contents, opens it, and is intimidated.

Furthermore, most return addresses usually go back to a third party mailing operation which, although contracted to deal appropriately with returns, usually bins them.

It's also worth bearing in mind that once an envelope is opened, it is deemed finished. You cannot ascertain the return address, reseal it, write the address on, and repost. It requires a stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          It's also worth bearing in mind that once an envelope is opened, it is deemed finished. You cannot ascertain the return address, reseal it, write the address on, and repost. It requires a stamp.
          Even if one marks the envelope "postage to be paid by the addressee" or affixes only a 1p stamp?

Comment

No need to overthink this situation people :rolleyes2:

Scrawl "Return to Sender - Gone Away" on the envelope and stick it in a post box. No need for a stamp. Royal Mail will open the letter to establish the sender's address and Bob's your uncle.

Although if you really have too much time on your hands you can draw a detailed map of the sender's address on the front to assist Royal Mail like this witty person did

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...st-955499.html

Comment

If you receive letters adressed other people just re-post them next time you are out and write Gone Away or Not Known/gone away, I use to decades ago from here. they did stop after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by cpc85 View Post
                Thanks for the info!

With the letter that i opened it had a return adress on the back of the envelope to what i searched on google as a sorting office in Bristol not the adress of DLC/Hillesden?

So when the next letter comes and i return it will it go back to the correct place? also do i need to put a stamp on the envelope?

Sorry if i sound nieve
                Why go to so much trouble? In my long life, I have returned lots of post not addressed to myself, sometimes it arrives years after you've moved in, I've just been scrawling: RETURN TO SENDER on the envelope and dumping it in the nearest postbox, I've never googled anything, the post office should know what to do with it, that's why envelopes have return addresses on them. And why should you pay for a stamp to return something you didn't want to post in the first place? I've never bothered with any of this, just returned it.

If people don't bother updating their new address or setting up a redirection (or they are deliberately trying to hide :spy, why should you go to so much trouble? :ohwell:

Comment

The only details really needed for me are my name and postal town.

Comment

Originally posted by cpc85 View Post
                    Thanks for the info!

Sorry if i sound nieve

Bristol address is another of those bulk despatch centres for different companies.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post

yours is simple:- Clever cloggs C/O Dartmoor 2nd cell on the right

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        Would that be Toy Town :rofl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X