• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statutory Demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory Demand

A company done some some work for me as an individual, and part way throw the work i hit financial problems. I spoke to the company and they agreed to continue to the end and instaead of paying lump sums at the start of each batch of work, they would allow me to pay a minimum amount on a monthly basis. I have maintained the agreed payments as agreed. Out of the blue a DCA issued me with a final demand, i have tried to neg with him saying that i have been paying and all he saying is that his client wants full payment and that the agreed amount is no longer acceptable. Can they just do that?
    Tags: None

Re: Statutory Demand

Originally posted by cedwards111 View Post
    A company done some some work for me as an individual, and part way throw the work i hit financial problems. I spoke to the company and they agreed to continue to the end and instaead of paying lump sums at the start of each batch of work, they would allow me to pay a minimum amount on a monthly basis. I have maintained the agreed payments as agreed. Out of the blue a DCA issued me with a final demand, i have tried to neg with him saying that i have been paying and all he saying is that his client wants full payment and that the agreed amount is no longer acceptable. Can they just do that?
    Hi and welcome!

Was this just a letter headed FINAL DEMAND? Or a proper Statutory Demand? :decision: The two are very different! DCAs routinely write letters headed FINAL DEMAND, usually in bold caps, sometimes in red ink, for maximum effect. If this is the case, it's just a standard threat. If, on the other hand, you have been served with a Statutory Demand, then this would require prompt action, as they could then go on to petition your bankruptcy. :scared: How much is the amount claimed? A Statutory Demand can only be issued for debts over £750. See this for reference: https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/overview

You should remove all personal details and post up the letter you received. Use a scanner or a digital camera or mobile phone to take a picture of it. hoto:

Comment

I agree with everything FP has said. Can I ask also please, did you get anything in writing when the payment agreement was modified?

Comment

You have 18 days in which to pay or have the SD set aside by going to the courts and completing the relevant forms. You may well have good reason to have the SD set aside if you had an arrangement in place and you have been paying within that verbal or written agreement (that forms a contract). It could be a try on to see if they can get the money faster from you but you must at all times treat a SD very seriously indeed as it does have consequences of bankruptcy and unless the issuer of the SD knows you have property or you are financially able to settle this debt quicker or make you bankrupt and then he would rank with other creditors and it would depend on what you owe.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X