• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need help / advice regarding debt companies - LOST MY MONEY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help / advice regarding debt companies - LOST MY MONEY

Hello

I need some advice on how to handle debt recovery agencies.

I had 2 large credit card debts, and last year came into some money and decided to use it to clear off my cards. I was given a settlement amount from both recovery agents representing the credit card companies. I was given references and payment details (was living in ROI at the time so I had to do an international transfer with an IBAN number).

One company received the payment and cleared off my credit card. The other company (westcot) claims they did not receive it. I have written and telephoned, and they assured me they would be able to find it as I had a receipt from the bank with details of date of transaction and exact amount transferred, but they still have not contacted me 10 months on. This was a sum of nearly £800.

Since then my details were passed on to other debt agencies, 2 representing the large bank that I tried to pay off my credit card with, and they are sending me red letters about overdraft accounts. I don't want to pay them until my £800 is found. I am also in no position to pay as my circumstances have changed and I am unemployed with 2 small children and my husband just lost his job. We have no money at all until he finds work again.

I also have a small debt regarding a mobile phone contract that is 3 years old. I disputed the debt at the time as this was a misunderstanding (my contract was ending and I wanted to change to Pay as You Go, would be assured that there was no charge, then received a bill in the post). I am not happy about paying this either, partly as I have no money but also as this debt is nearly 4 years old and I don't agree with it.

Any advice anyone? How can I get westcot to find my missing money? And how can I put off the other agencies?
    Tags: None

Re: Need help / advice regarding debt companies - LOST MY MONEY

Regarding Wescot:

1) Did they own the account or were they just acting as recovery agents for the bank?
    2) Was the £800 agreed as a full and final settlement and if so, did you get that in writing?
    3) What does your credit file say about this account?

Clarification on these points will guide what to put in letters. If there are new DCAs trying to pick up on this then I wouldn't worry about them for the present as that's standard practice. This needs to be cleared up with Wescot and the owner if that's not them.

Comment

Re: Need help / advice regarding debt companies - LOST MY MONEY

Hello

Westcot were acting as recovery agents for the bank.
      The £800 was agreed over the phone no letter was written to confirm it at the time.
      Not sure about my credit file as I've struggled to access it but I know the bank was still trying to take monthly fees for the debt which I cancelled and they are not happy.
      Its regarding two other overdraft accounts with the same bank that new DCA's are trying to pick up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X