• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The DVSL, HL Legal and Capquest chain of lt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DVSL, HL Legal and Capquest chain of lt

Over the last three months I have received the following letters that appear familiar to those who keep an eye on the Internet -

1. DVSL Letter trying to re-establish (?) contact with me

2. HL Legal letter acting on behalf of DVSL again asking me to contact them in case I'm not the person they are looking for

And today a letter from Capquest Debt recovery re a £809.49 debt with Santander Uk Plc requesting I contact them to arrange a payment plan and if I fail to do so the account will be "escalated" to the collection process.

I researched various forums after the DVSL letter so was expecting this series of letters but obviously wasn't sure what they were chasing. Many responses I have read on the net are for questions relating to debts which are accepted or actually have nothing to do with the recipient of the letter.

In my case I am not aware of any debt with Satander and have had no correspondence with them even though I do have an active Santander credit card so would have been easily found. About 12 years ago I had an account with Abbey National which was closed with no debt.

I have so far ignored these letters but am now seeking advice of what I should do next, now they are naming a debt, even though I don't recognise it.

Many thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.
    Tags: None

Re: The DVSL, HL Legal and Capquest chain of lt

DCAs who send these letters without first checking with the Original Creditor (OC) as to whom the debt is legally-attributable not only cause a lot of anxiety, they are also in breach of OFT rules, compliance with which is linked to their OFT Debt Collection Licence. Sometimes, a Prove It letter is needed and sometimes a firm Sod Off letter is more appropriate.

If you don't have any outstanding debts, you can send them a letter asking them for "full and better details" of the alleged debts. If after this the debts ring no bells and you are sure the alleged debts aren't attributable to you, that is when you can send them a Sod Off letter.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for your advice ...... I really don't remember any debts but am a little intrigued so may send one of the templated letters at some stage.

Funnily enough today I received a letter from today (who I apparently owe money to) and was quite expecting it to say they have sold a debt to Capquest etc but no it was offering me 12 month interest free balance transfers to my Satander card

Comment

A quick bump to the thread.....I've chosen to ignore the various Capquest letters but have now received their threats re door step visits. Although this does not overly concern me or my two very big dogs I feel it's time I dealt with this annoying pest of a company.

Please could somebody advise me if the following would be the correct course of action (or have I left it to late ?)
        1. Send a prove it letter ( I don't recognise the debt but have had had a Abbey account)
        2. Send the letter, common law I believe, re attending my property without consent

Is the full and better details letter the same as the prove it letter ?

Any links to current letter templates or up to date advice really will be gratefully received

Comment

Prove It - First Letter in Post 4:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ing-with-DCA-s

Doorstep Visit - I wouldn't worry. They're not allowed to visit without an appointment anyway, and it is highly unlikely they will do so. If they do, collect all their details, shut the door while you go in to verify them and leave them standing outside till they go. Report the visit to the OFT. If they are really persistent, which is very unlikely, ask them to leave your property. If they don't, call the police.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post

Doorstep Visit - I wouldn't worry. They're not allowed to visit without an appointment anyway, and it is highly unlikely they will do so. If they do, collect all their details, shut the door while you go in to verify them and leave them standing outside till they go. Report the visit to the OFT. If they are really persistent, which is very unlikely, ask them to leave your property. If they don't, call the police.
            Depends where you live, I would relish a Doorstep Visit as where I live would really waste them some time & fuel - at least 2 hours. I would ask if they enjoyed their visit and point out the scenery is much better if they go back via XXXX, and then close the door. Strangely no one decides to come, I assume they look my address up first.

Comment

Bump - the next round - advice please

Thanks for to you all for your previous advice. I eventually sent a "prove it" letter to CapQuest and all their associated names and also the letter regarding home visits. They replied with the normal "if you have a complaint" letter and I have heard nothing since.

Sometime later I received a letter from Santander stating they will be referring my account to Robinson Way Ltd and they supplied their address should I wish to contact them.

This is the first time I have had any correspondence from Santander and appears to related to a very old joint account but no further details have been disclosed.

I have since has three letters from Robinson Way stating they are managing my account and that the amount owed is £809.49 and requesting that I contact them to arrange a payment plan. I have also received the threat of the "home visit" letter.

I have checked my Experian account and have now seen the the old Santander account (which I was closed) is now showing as a defaulted account with a red code 8 showing against it. This appears to indicate that the credit agreement has been ended and have not responded to requests to get my account in order. I also note that the account is shown as being opened in June 2001 and defaulted in Feb 2012.

This account would have been opened sometime in the late 80's and closed (so I thought in the late 90's and at a push very early in 2000.

Now that this is affecting my credit report I really would like to get some advice as what to do next. I am not aware of any debt owed to Santander and I do actually have credit facilities with them. I must also stress that to this date I have only received one piece of correspondence from them and that was the notification of referral to Robinson Way.

On a separate note I have also received a missed call from a number that appears to be linked to McKenzie Hall, another DCA.

Sorry for such a long post but I really would like to know how to rectify this issue and get rid of the stress that goes with it

Many thanks in advance

Comment

Hi Shippster.

The latest OFT guide on debt collection makes for interesting reading - especially re statute-barred debts (p45)

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/con...lection_g1.pdf
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

3.15 b seems very applicable seeing that I have never been informed about this debt and it was incurred years ago.

I have been advised to complain to Santander and request details of the debt but am slightly concerned that this may allow them to "come after me" as such

Comment

They are already coming after you, but just via a scummy debt collector.

Disputing the debt and telling them to naff off because it is statute barred doesn't allow them to do more. Once statute barred it stays that way, permanently, no matter what you later say or do or write.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X