• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home Visits?! HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Visits?! HELP!

Hi everyone, I'm new here!

Basically, back in 2009, I decided to get myself a motorbike with a personal loan from black horse. Being 19 I thought this was a brilliant idea..Wrong. Months went by and I eventually lost my job, causing me to build a massive arrears, from March in 2010, to about August 2010, no payments were made to the loan. I managed to get a job in August,(only working about 15 hours or so) and got myself on a DMP to try and sort out this problem, as it was not only this loan that had built up over the year. Now having this DMP in place, they didn't really start getting any payments through until about December 2010.. From December 2010 until December 2011, I was on this DMP making token payments to black horse and all my other creditors, due to the low wage I was earning.

At the start of December 2011, I managed to get myself a proper job. Yay! While having a decent job, I have been making payments of £50-£100 to Black Horse every month. I missed my last month's payment due to writing my car off and having to get another one at such short notice, (I work about 20 mins drive from where I live) and phoned black horse this month to try and pay both month's payments... The jolly guy on the phone told me that my account had been passed over to Credit Style Limited. I got the number of this DCA and contacted them, they told me that one of their field agents is going to have to visit me to go through my income and expenditure and see what I can actually afford to pay them back. I asked them why I could not do this over the phone and was told that because the arrears amount is so high, they HAVE to come to my house. As you can imagine, I'm not that keen on the idea of debt collectors being in my house!

I also got a letter in the post this morning telling me to contact them, which of course i already have done..

So, what I am really trying to find out is, do these people have a right to deny me the option of doing this income and expenditure over the phone? Can they actually refuse when I tell them I want to do it over the phone? Do thier field agents have any power at all?

I hope I've covered everything, it's just getting me down. I live with my parents and I can't stand the thought of debt collectors coming to our house, I don't want to disappoint my parents so badly!!

Thanks for reading,
    Tags: None

Re: Home Visits?! HELP!

ok firstly, contact your DMP providers and give them the details of the DCA.

ring up the DCA and say you are on a DMP and they must now go through the providers (this is what they are for). They cannot come out without an appointment, and as far as I am aware, they MUST go through the DMP providers (Please correct me if im wrong guys!)

Thats the best part of a DMP is they do it all for you

Comment

Oh dear, I didn't write that first post very well sorry! Basically, after I got my proper job I stopped using the DMP as I thought I would be able to afford all of these bills etc.. Wrong again! So I'm currently not on a DMP, but think it would probably be a better idea to get myself started up on one again?

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I certainly would not provide any details including personal details apart from my name. I am unaware of any law that requires any person to do this including the Data Protection Act. Check this.

Comment

They have no rights (let alone reason) whatsoever to visit your home.

This is a scare tactic to get you to pay more.

Write to them and include the following paras and explain all further contact MUST be in writing only.

Should it be your or your representatives intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under Office of Fair Trading rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with either you or your agencies.
          There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission.
          Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives,to visit me at my property, and if you do so you will be guilty of a tort of trespass and action may be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.
          They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

You're absolutely right, Puff. It is a requirement of OFT Debt Collection Guidelines that a DCA DOES NOT side-step a debtor's appointed third-party representative.

Dave, I'm attaching a copy of the most up-to-date OFT Debt Collection Guidelines for your information. Quote this to Credit Style Ltd. They'll probably throw a hissy fit, but there's nothing they can do about it. If they ignore OFT Guidelines, the OFT can send them a very stern warning letter to behave or, if Credit Style have really been pushing their luck, slap an Adverse Determination to Refuse Renewal or Revoke their Debt Collection Licence under the Consumer Credit Act on, in which case, they're history.
            Attached Files
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Or just hose down their doorstep collector before he has a chance to remove the doorstep.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Or just hose down their doorstep collector before he has a chance to remove the doorstep.
                That's a waste of water!

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
                  They have no rights (let alone reason) whatsoever to visit your home.

This is a scare tactic to get you to pay more.

Write to them and include the following paras and explain all further contact MUST be in writing only.

It's been a long time since I had that drilled into me at police college, Basa. Common Law Trespass comes in very handy at times. Pity there's bailiff firms wreaking havoc encouraging landowners to let them evict people using this. I've seen what can happen when it all goes mammaries-up.

Comment

Please note this is personal opinion only.

Personally, if you are struggling to make payments, I would advise you to re activate your DMP. We went through 10 years of struggling before Hubby finally accepted we needed help, and now we have the DMP in order, yes finances are still tight, but we are managing and I have the sweet natured man I married back.
                    If you do re activate it, make sure and tell any callers that you have done this, then legally then HAVE to go through the DMP company for anything.

Also, be aware that some DCA's are in one office and your original creditors are in another. We had this with Barclaycard, they sent us notice the debt was going to a debt collector, despite us being on a DMP, and our providers told us, dont worry its still Barclaycard!

If you want, PM me and I will provide you the details of our DMP provider they are first rate, and everyone will tell you that I am a housewife so have no ties, other than gratitude, to this company.. they even let you pay them weekly which is a Godsend to us

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                      That's a waste of water!
                      Urine wouldnt be

Comment

EWWW think of the flies! EWW!!

Personally I would ask for a receipt that I owed the DCA a penny for the doorstep, then say have you brought a jackhammer... cos i haven't got one spare then again I'm an idiot like that.

IF and this is a BIG if, you get anyone on your doorstep (you wont) then simply say you do not deal with finances at the door, and close the door in their faces.

Comment

watch Black horse like a harrier hawk on its prey, they will lie, cheat do anything to get what they want. They sent out one of their doorsteppers who in fact lied (found this out with my sar) informed her of the access rights politly and closed the door. turns out that apparently I looked angy slammed the door in her face and told her that I am never repaying her. This company are liars, cheats and obstructive. Please reset up the DMP they are not allowed to bypass it, don't let this shower mess you up like they did me .

(P.S.)

not wee wee used cat litter instead they will be picking out catsan from their clothes and hair for weeks LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by messimoo View Post
                            watch Black horse like a harrier hawk on its prey, they will lie, cheat do anything to get what they want. They sent out one of their doorsteppers who in fact lied (found this out with my sar) informed her of the access rights politly and closed the door. turns out that apparently I looked angy slammed the door in her face and told her that I am never repaying her. This company are liars, cheats and obstructive. Please reset up the DMP they are not allowed to bypass it, don't let this shower mess you up like they did me .

(P.S.)

not wee wee used cat litter instead they will be picking out catsan from their clothes and hair for weeks LOL
                            Blackhorse's parent - Lloyds TSB - isn't much better. Had experience of that when I was with CID. They didn't like it when we turned up, armed with a signed consent form, to go through a customer's account records. They can be very obstructive and evasive. They're also very well-known for lying to and misleading courts. They didn't like it one little bit when we started asking searching and uncomfortable questions. Their usual response was, "I'm not saying anything without a solicitor present," which is patently stupid because it made it blindingly obvious they'd been up to no-good. A thoroughly untrustworthy company which the regulators should close down at the earliest possible opportunity.

I do like the suggestion about used Catsan, Messi. Nice one.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X