• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Who do I sue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do I sue?

Hi, I'm new here and not sure this is the correct place to post this - tell me how and where to move it if it's the wrong place please!

I have a need to sue for a payment for a service that was taken but not paid for. Simple enough, I know how to use the County Court Small Claims etc.. However, do I sue the defaulter under their trading name (that they used and that appears on our Invoice etc) or their 'parent' company? More importantly will I lose the right to redress if I do sue the Trading Style not the Limited Company or am I just being paranoid?
    Tags: None

Re: Who do I sue?

If you can post up better details, it will be easier to give you advice. Is the defaulter a company in its own right or just a trading style (trading name) of a company?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
      If you can post up better details, it will be easier to give you advice. Is the defaulter a company in its own right or just a trading style (trading name) of a company?
      The business is a limited company, they booked under their trading style.

Comment

Thank you. If the defaulter is, for example, Acme Widgets Limited t/a Acme Widgets, you show the defaulter on the N1 as Acme Widgets Limited trading as "Acme Widgets". This positively-identifies the defaulter and makes it harder for them to dispute the claim in any proceedings. Don't forget that you need to comply with Civil Procedures Rules.

Having noted that the business's trading style was written on the invoice, if their registered name is different from their trading style, is their reason for not paying because the invoice has not been made out in the registered company name?

Comment

No, their boss is a vindictive, short and angry man!

I shall issue proceedings direct to the Limited Company. Just for completeness though, to understand the situation, if we were to sue them under their trading name as Acme Widgets would we be disadvantaged, ie: would this mean that because we didn't specify that they are part of Acme Widgets Limited that they'd have a valid defence?

Comment

Send the Poison Dwarf a new invoice made out to

Acme Widgets Limited t/a Acme Widgets (example)

and ask for prompt payment. You might be surprised that he may settle. If not, send a Letter Before Action, addressed to the limited company t/a its trading style. If the Poison Dwarf still doesn't settle, then fill in the N1.

In answer to your question about what to put on the N1, if a business is a limited company trading under another name, you must show both the registered company name and its trading style on the N1. Otherwise, the Poison Dwarf can dispute the claim and, yes, your business would be put at a disadvantage.

In matters like this, it is best to stick to correct protocol and procedure. That way, there is less chance of a defendant escaping justice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X