• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff charging fees for visiting wrong address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff charging fees for visiting wrong address

Hi all its me again! Today My mother has had a visit from bristow and suitor. She told them I do not live at the address. They know full well where I actually live because I have been in touch with them only last week as detailed in another thread. However the lady I spoke to told me that because the debt is from a different council they have used the address that was given to them by the council and that the charges have been incurred and are payable by me. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks again in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiff charging fees for visiting wrong address

They need to write to you at the correct address and visit you at the correct address. Today's visit should not be charged for - keep a record of it.

Do not let bailiffs in if they come to your address. They will eventually return it to the council.

Back in a minute - my food's ready! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back! Sorry about that.

In this case, if I were you, I would make payment directly to the council. If you call in they're likely to say they can't take payment, however if you use their online payment service, or their automated telephone service the payment will be accepted. As long as you don't let B&S into your property during this time (and make sure your vehicle is kept a few streets away), the most they can charge is £42.50 for a total of 2 visits (£24.40 + £18.00). This is only if they visit your property though, not somebody elses.

Keep them out, pay the council online or via telephone and settle your debt at an affordable rate.
    Last edited by labman; 5th March 2012, 19:52:PM. Reason: Eating my dinner

Comment

Ok thanks. So if I just pay off the council will the bailiffs continue to chase the debt?

Comment

Yes - the council will say they can't deal with you and you have to deal with the bailiffs - they're lying, but they are likely to say that. That's why I suggested paying them via an automated method.

The bailiffs will continue to chase, but as long as they don't gain peaceful access (or levy on your car, hence parking at a couple of streets away) there is nothing they can do. At most you will face a bailiffs' bill of £42.50 this way.

Make sure you phone the council to whom you owe money and find out the exact amount of any liability order against you.

Comment

Thanks labman I will call them on friday.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X