• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hugh gas bill anticipated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh gas bill anticipated

Hi, i hope this is the right place. My problem is that I had gas central heating installed about six weeks ago. The thermostat was set by my plumber six times a day but I had to lower the temperatures sometimes as the weather was quite mild.
    I only received a key for my meter cabinet five days ago and was shocked to read the number of units on the meter ( 02977) which is something like 32,747 kwh . As the cost of a kwh is 7p you can imagine my horror!

I phoned phoenix and they said the reading on the meter at installation was 00804 which suggests I have used 2173 units, in six weeks, which is 23,903 kwh at a cost of roughly £1666 !
    My plumber said that couldn`t possibly be right, and the guy at phoenix thinks I`ve read the meter wrong and is sending someone to check the reading.

The reading is correct ( though I have still to hear from phoenix what they are to do about it) I unfortunately did not see the original reading and it is not recorded inside the meter box even though it is supposed to be .

I am taking daily reading now and using from 2-7 units a day

how should I proceed if Phoenix insist I pay this bill ? thanks for any advise in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Hugh gas bill anticipated

Keep talking to them, make sure you note all the readings and when or if you get a large bill through write to them with all the details and ask for time to pay, explain it was not your fault as you wasn't given a key to the cabinet etc and ask them again to double check the start reading.
    Whatever though do not ignore them, do everything in writing and keep copies and if you do a phone call make sure its followed up in writing.

Comment

How to read your gas meter

There are different kinds of meters and if you knock off the last digit of your readings then they would be ok, so have give you the link above to make double sure you are reading it right.

Comment

Thanks for your advice.
        Someone from phoenix came out and read the meter yesterday.
        I phoned them this morning and they tell me my reading was correct. The initial reading they had recorded was 804 and someone just added two 00 before it . they recon the initial reading was 02804 which fits well with my daily recordings of use recently. So thankfully it was their fault and I won`t be getting a hugh bill in January.

Comment

Pleased you are sorted and thanks for letting us know.
          Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X