• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

old debt ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old debt ?

got a letter about 3 weeks ago saying i had some unpaid debt from 16 years ago £324 to be exact but they cant tell me who the debt is from or what it was for now they call every day saying that i will be taken to court . some of them have been really cheeky to me and my wife when on the phone . could someone advise i have no recolection of any debt to this company thanks ton
    Tags: None

Re: old debt ?

STATUTE BARRED.........can they prove that you even acknowledged any debt in the last 6 years?
    Otherwise, they have no legal right to collect any debt that is that far out of date.

Who is the company concerned who are attempting to collect the debt?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hello guests...
      Anyway, yes it well & truly stat barred and they'd be laughed out of court if it ever went there.
      Stay off the phone to them and refuse to answer security questions if they phone you.
      Report them to the OFT & trading standards if they refuse to get lost.

Comment

i have never aknowleged that i have had debt with them . it is ge capital for first tricity finance . thanks

Comment

The debt is statute barred and so legally unenforceable against you.

See this link Statute Barred Debt - A guide and letters to use.

Comment

Originally posted by tractorman View Post
            got a letter about 3 weeks ago saying i had some unpaid debt from 16 years ago £324 to be exact but they cant tell me who the debt is from or what it was for now they call every day saying that i will be taken to court . some of them have been really cheeky to me and my wife when on the phone . could someone advise i have no recolection of any debt to this company thanks ton
            Look up OFT guide lines on debt collection. Write to AK (without prejudice) and inform them you do not acknowledge or accept any debt with them or any other company. Tell them you will not speak to them on the phone and any communication should be in writing only (you have the right to decide how you are contacted). If they refuse to communicate in writting and continue with phone calls you will have a case for harassment. They cannot refuse to tell you who the OC is and again break the law if they do. Write to the OFT (complaints dept) and ad your concerns about AK to everyone else's, including mine.

Send in a complaint to AK's complaints dept, as I've said before, they will investigate themselves and find they are not guilty and have acted properly. Get their final response letter and then complain to the FOS. The FOS will (provided you have AK's Final Response) investigate the matter which will cost AK £500. You could simply indicate to AK that you intend to take the matter to the FOS; this could be enough to make them roll over.

If you really want to naff them off refer them to the "Arkell V Pressdram" case. In any event they will not take this to court, they can't and they know it.

Comment

Alternatively, you could get a Truecall to record the conversation, have some fun with the oafs - link - and post the results on YouTube.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X