• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discontinued case looms again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discontinued case looms again.

The CPR will still be effective the fact that a DJ saw fit to strike out a similar thing will surely bolster my side.

Would "Res judicata" apply to the CPR 38.7 element? It has previously been judged and I was told to remove this they would have to appeal they never did correctly?
    Thanks again

PT

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpytums View Post
      What's stopping them doing this again and again until its statute barred?

I have never claimed costs this is very likely to change the next time.

Would I right in thinking that I can't sue the new owner for the OC's breach of contract/ unfair behaviour?

Should I just go after the OC using BCOBS
      ?
      No, you can't sue them, however, you can still defend if they try again. You mention the lack of DN, what about the agreement? Did they produce a copy of a properly executed agreement?

BCOBS is still largely untested and only relates to bank accounts/overdrafts, not credit cards: http://www.bsa.org.uk/publications/i...s/BCOBS_IG.htm
      BCOBS applies to firms carrying out the activity of accepting deposits from banking customers in the UK, for example by providing saving and current accounts. BCOBS contains rules and guidance on:
      • communications with banking customers and financial promotions;
      • distance communications, including the requirements of the Distance Marketing Directive and E-commerce Directive;
      • information to be communicated to banking customers, including appropriate information and statements of account;
      • post sale requirements on prompt, efficient and fair service, moving accounts and lost and dormant accounts;
      • unauthorised and incorrectly executed payments; and
      • cancellation, including the right to cancel and the effects of cancellation.

Comment

Hi FP,
        the agreement was produced and seemed enforceable.

They screwed up royally when they went to court without the DN I only found out by accident. They didn't discontinue due to the lack of a DN by the way they clearly stated in their POC that one was issued. The OC did own up eventually.

Thanks

PT

Comment

Seems to me like they are screwed either way'

If they contend a compliant DN was issued they would be in breach of the cpr, if they are saying it wasn't issued then the agreement was not correctly terminated and the new"owner" should not be prosecuting.

Comment

Have you received a letter before action from the new owner ?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
              No, you can't sue them, however, you can still defend if they try again. You mention the lack of DN, what about the agreement? Did they produce a copy of a properly executed agreement?

BCOBS is still largely untested and only relates to bank accounts/overdrafts, not credit cards: http://www.bsa.org.uk/publications/i...s/BCOBS_IG.htm

Sorry, FP but overdrafts are the realm of the OFT and are not covered by BCOBS whatsoever.
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                Sorry, FP but overdrafts are the realm of the OFT and are not covered by BCOBS whatsoever.
                There is a reason why I mentioned overdrafts, It's a bit of a long story, in a nutshell, I know of someone who had a court claim for an O/D and had a defence drafted using BCOBS.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                  I know of someone who had a court claim for an O/D and had a defence drafted using BCOBS.
                  If their defence had used FMOL, it might have been really interesting.

Comment

If a defence has been exchanged and the claimant withdraws

CPR 38.7 comes into play and Res Judicata is applicable

The claimant has no chance

Comment

thanks very much everyone

pt

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X