• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How Scary Are DCA's Really?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Scary Are DCA's Really?

I thought I'd post this in the hope that it might put a few peoples' minds at ease. I have loads of debts. For years I buried my head in the sand over these and ended up with three large cardboard boxes FULL of letters that had never been opened.

This afternoon I've been through every box and opened every letter. It's been a fascinating experience watching each debt do the rounds of the DCA's, then being passed onto the next one, then the next and so on. That's just ignoring them totally.

Many of these threatened legal action, bankruptcy and all other sorts of nasty things. Reading them this afternoon made me laugh as NONE of it has happened. However, THIS IS THE SERIOUS PART, if you're not used to getting these letters I'd now be suicidal and unbelievably worried.

If you're one of those people, seriously do not worry. The DCA's are all mouth and very little bite. Seeing them laid out in a pile for each debt, each one having gone round most of the same DCA's, plus a few I'd never heard of, was a real eye opener. Honestly, anybody reading those would think I'd be in jail now. In reality I'm still here, and quite a few seem to have totally given up chasing.

I hope this gives somebody a bit more courage, or at least reduces the fear when they find themselves in this position.
    Tags: None

Re: How Scary Are DCA's Really?

Hi Casper
    What a reassuring post
    As well you know going through the mill a bit myself at present but with your help Im slowly getting there
    Did you pay any of your creditors during the collection of your 3 boxes and if so who did you pay
    Reason for asking CAP 1 refusing my payments so dont know who to pay

Comment

No, to this day I've not paid any of those one penny. I've other ones that I've sorted and a few I've had totally written off. What amazed me was that such a result came by just pretending they weren't there.

Not I hasten to add something I would advise as we went through hell for quite a time when we were burying our heads.

Comment

About as scary as my dog or yours for that matter zilch. :beagle:
        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Whilst I wouldn't generally recommend ignoring DCA threatograms, sometimes it can work. But there is always the chance one could go for the kill thinking the debtor is a scared pussycat.

Plus continuing a dialogue might just trick someone into admitting something they shouldn't or a expose a fear of litigation. One tried it on by saying I was only trying to avoid paying and not negotiating (no ***** Sherlock!!).

My own game plan is to pick my fights and show just a hint of my arsenal. It is now 2 years since my first s78 letters and I'm still a free man!!

In court next month though, but it is an action I have instigated. I need the practice and experience.
          They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

How scary are DCA'S?

They try to be very scary but that only works because they play on is peoples ignorance of their rights, and also on how they themselves are meant to conduct themselves.

Casp - if you have a nice catalogue of letters it would be fantastic if you could add them to the thread I started:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=25723

We can then all see that DCA's actually are not at all that scary and use the same intimidation tactics across the entire industry.

I absolutely agree with Basa about getting a written dialogue going with DCA's as sooner or later they will shoot themselves in the foot as you will collate enough evidence to put them on the backfoot!

Best

Crispy

Comment

Generally, their letters run a cycle and once the cycle ends;
              the cycle begins again.

Am on the four cycle, and one can predict what the next (template) letter will say...

Always open letters that are sent to you, do not put your head in the sand!

File under ignore or, respond as fits your situation.

BUT, never speak to a DCA on the telephone!

Comment

Originally posted by Crispybacon View Post
                How scary are DCA'S?

Casp - if you have a nice catalogue of letters it would be fantastic if you could add them to the thread I started:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=25723

We can then all see that DCA's actually are not at all that scary and use the same intimidation tactics across the entire industry.

Best

Crispy

I opened about 500ish at a guess. How many do you want?

I'll look at what you've already got and put in different ones. They range from so nice they're false to really nasty.
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                I'll second that AC. urprising how many of us do / did an ostrich though. Sometimes it's a coping strategy.
                Last edited by Caspar; 1st February 2011, 22:33:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                  I'll second that AC. surprising how many of us do / did an ostrich though. Sometimes it's a coping strategy.
                  Many have and still do for very many different reasons...
                  But, the strategy can sometimes cause major problems e.g: CCJ's Judgments (in Default).
                  And then, those who put their head(s) in the proverbial bucker of sand, are left running around like a headless chicken trying to work out how to obtain a, set-aside!

Always best to tackle the issue; after all there is plenty of help/advice available on LB (and other consumer forums) about how to do deal with such matters

Comment

Caspar I bet if you removed all the letterheads you would probably only have about six different letters. They all churn out the same sh!te on different notepaper. I'm a great believer in ignoring the DCAs. For all their threats and warnings none have actually had the balls to take action

Comment

Freds take action. Usually only aided and abetted by the lovely Bryan though, so again,nothing much to be scared about
                      Is no longer here

Comment

But laughing boy Carter can easily be beaten for a quid accompanied by a CCA reaquest

Comment

If I got paid a quid for every time Carters was mentioned on this and other forums I would be sunning it up on Barbados with a big fat bubbly in my hand lol

Now off to change my surname by deed-poll Sorry guys no relation thank god
                          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X