• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest demanding payment of a debt over 10 years old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest demanding payment of a debt over 10 years old

Over 10 years ago I had a student credit card with HSBC. Being young and foolish I spent over the limit and stuck my head in the sand. However I have had no communication from them since then regarding this until 3 months ago when I got a letter from Capquest demanding payment. I called them as requested due to the threatening nature of the letter. I was advised by their agent that I needed to make an agreement with them regarding payments and that if I disputed any aspect of the debt for any reason I could sort it out once the agreement was in place and payments had been made. I stupidly agreed to this mainly due to the aggressive and threatening nature of their agent. I have made one payment but really feel this is unfair due to the age of the debt. Is there any way I can get rid of this? I have defaulted on this month's payment and have been getting constant phone calls and letters. The calls always come when I am at work so I haven't discussed this with them. I would be grateful for any advice you can offer. Thanks

Re: Capquest demanding payment of a debt over 10 years old

Firstly if Capquest are harrassing you please read and send them a letter of harrassment http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...play.php?f=241 with this link you should be able to find a suitable letter to send them.

All debts over 6 years they cannot claim for as they are statute barred unless you have had any contact with HSBC or their agents within the 6 year period.

Also, you should be aware that Capquest may not hold title to that debt as it may not have been properly assigned and therefore when you write your harrassment letter ask for the return of the payment which you made as the debt is statute barred and they had no right to chase you for a debt which is out of time.

From now on keep everything in writing, do not sign your usual signature to any letters, just block write. Do not get involved with them on the phone.

I hope this helps
    Tuttsi

Originally posted by Titania1980 View Post
    Over 10 years ago I had a student credit card with HSBC. Being young and foolish I spent over the limit and stuck my head in the sand. However I have had no communication from them since then regarding this until 3 months ago when I got a letter from Capquest demanding payment. I called them as requested due to the threatening nature of the letter. I was advised by their agent that I needed to make an agreement with them regarding payments and that if I disputed any aspect of the debt for any reason I could sort it out once the agreement was in place and payments had been made. I stupidly agreed to this mainly due to the aggressive and threatening nature of their agent. I have made one payment but really feel this is unfair due to the age of the debt. Is there any way I can get rid of this? I have defaulted on this month's payment and have been getting constant phone calls and letters. The calls always come when I am at work so I haven't discussed this with them. I would be grateful for any advice you can offer. Thanks

Comment

Thanks, I have written a letter and will post it tomorrow. Hopefully this will stop the constant calls!!

Comment

Seems to be Zombie debt time of year again.
        We'll be seeing more of these..

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
          Seems to be Zombie debt time of year again.
          We'll be seeing more of these..

Must of been all the heat gone to their heads, how is the sunbathing Curly?

Comment

Going good, but need more popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
              Going good, but need more popcorn

Try this: -

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                Try this: -
                should of been this: -

Comment

Na prefer this:

Gotta be a LARGE bucket of buttered corn

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X