• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kensington Finance help please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kensington Finance help please?

I've been put onto them to help pay my creditors. Lady on the phone said a fee was payable for them to arrange everything, fair enough.
    I asked outright if any more of my money would be going to them - she said no. When I said "So it's a one off payment, then you're not involved after the arranging? I've looked at things like this before and I'd have ended up paying ridiculous amounts of interest to the company" she said yes, one off payment and all my money would go to the debts. (£50 between two creditors)

This is from their website :
    5. How we will be paid.

5.1 Unless we agree otherwise with you due to the amount of creditors included on the Debt Management Plan. We will take from each monthly payment under the Debt Management Plan a gross fee equal to 17.625% of the periodic payment under the Debt Management Programme. However, this is subject to a minimum fee of £35.25 per month.

5.2 Because most of our work for you will be done at the start of the period, we will retain as a fee the first monthly payment to cover the cost of implementing your Debt Management Plan.

5.3 We will retain as a fee the second monthly payment as a creditor set up fee, minus £1 for each creditor which is to be paid to them as a ‘token' payment. This fee is non refundable once the creditors token payments of £1 each have been dispersed.

------------
    So would I, in fact, be paying them x amount a month until said time that I pay off the debt, completly contrary to what the woman on the phone told me? She's meant to be phoning me tommorow to take my arrangement fee.

Re: Kensington Finance help please?

Hello Yuitsu and welcome to Beagles.
    I am afraid whatever you have said on the phone unless it is recoreded (by yourself) and whatever you have been promised can be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.
    As you have read and copied off their website the fees are plain to see.
    If you do need a DMP there a free ones CCCS being one off the top of my head.

Comment

If I understand the T&C right, I'd have to pay them £35.25 a month for the honour of getting the interest frozen on my debts?

Comment

Originally posted by Yuitsu View Post
        If I understand the T&C right, I'd have to pay them £35.25 a month for the honour of getting the interest frozen on my debts?
        Looks like that and they can not guarantee that from the creditor.

Comment

*mutters something rude* Ta for that. I will have words with the lady when she phones tommorow and tell her that unless I have what she offered me in writing they can go jump.

Comment

I wouldn't bother. Just don't agree to anything, don't sign anything and don't part with any money. When you said £50 between two creditors, did you mean you have only 2 creditors, totallin £50? Or you have £50 per month to split between your creditors?

Who put you on to Kensington and who are your creditors? Are the original creditors being reasonable??
            Is no longer here

Comment

£50 a month after expenditures to split between them.
              Creditors are JDWilliams and Argos - JDWilliams passed me onto Kensington - who they work with after saying they couldn't actually do anything with my account at the moment.

The £50 + Kensingtons monthly fee puts me at what I'm already paying on minimum payments. I'll go to CAB or Payplan to get some help that won't cost me, sending letters (I looked at all the templates) and keeping on top of it if I did it myself is probably beyond me.

Comment

I used to work for them and JD williams will pass anybody over as they get 130% of the first payment you make to kensington

There is a min fee of 35.25 and there not the best out there to say the least

Comment

Who is the best?

Has anyone used kensington and if so were they any good?

Comment

Originally posted by idon View Post
                    Who is the best?
                    We are (she says modestly).

It is perfectly feasible for you to deal with this yourself without parting with any money.

Assuming, of course, that your post is referring to clearing your debts by way of a claims management company, which will come with a hefty price tag attached and may not actually sort out any of your debt problems and instead could make them worse.

If you would like some free help, then you're in the right place.

Comment

i am with Kensington and they are managing my debts and i have to say they are doing a great job. I contacted the CAb and couldnt get an appointment until Feb. At least there website shows the fees they charge and they are upfront. My options were pay a fee and get my debts sorted asap or wait and get free advice whilst my creditors pile on the charges.

Comment

I've been with Kensington and they made my life a nightmare. I would not touch them with a barge pole and am in the process of preparing to take them to court over the decision against them for unfair charges a few weeks ago.

I would strongly advise do not go with them!

Comment

Originally posted by jonboy View Post
                          My options were pay a fee and get my debts sorted asap or wait and get free advice whilst my creditors pile on the charges.
                          And thats another point where their 'services' fall down. Your creditors are under no obligation to freeze interest or charges while you are on a DMP. In fact some flatly refuse to. They frequently don't tell you that unconfortable truth.

You can also still be taken to court by your creditors, and if this happens don't expect any DMP company to act in your best interests.

TBH the 4-6 weeks you 'may' incur charges is still going to be lot less over the long term than the amount of money you will pay Kensington in fees to manage your DMP.

Look over the long term and you will be in debt longer, and pay out more money, using any fee paying DMC.

Crispy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X