• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is a solicitor an agent under Consumer Credit Act?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a solicitor an agent under Consumer Credit Act?

I have a credit card debt that I have been paying off via the credit card company's solicitor for 3 years. The debt is supposed to be frozen from additional interest or charges. The solicitor has requested an update of income to review but the balance shown indicates that some charges must have been added as it is almost unchanged over the 3 year period!

I have never received a statement and I understand that there is a legal obligation to send a statement annually.

I sent a section 77/78 request as per Consumer Credit Act 1974 and requested also a statement.

The solicitor has returned my £1 fee stateing that he is unable to supply the details and that I must request the details direct from his client.

As the solicitor is collecting the money and (hopefully) passing it on to his client, is he an agent under the act and thus obliged to pass the S.77/78 request on to his client?

Re: Is a solicitor an agent under Consumer Credit Act?

Who is the Original Creditor ?

Who is the Solicitor ?

It will be nice to know these before going any further.

Comment

The credit card creditor is Capital one - The solicitor is Bryan Carter & co.

Comment

go direct to cap one for CCA. allow them 12 + 2days before they default, also look out for info on here probably from Curly, interesting this one???

Comment

Mr Carter is well knowing for "stretching" the truth when it comes to CCA.

As Mike says, cut to the chase and dispute it directly with Cap1, then take great pleasure in telling Bryan to "Go forth"

Here's the more info as alluded to earlier: ~~~ Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide ~~~~ inc. Letters - Legal Beagles

And to answer your question, YES he is acting as an agent for the creditor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X