• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Got a Letter from Rossendales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Letter from Rossendales

Hi all, don't know if this should be in here or in the benefits section, but I got a letter from Rossendales today with regard to a supposed debt to the local council re overpayment of housing benefit.

Now as far as I knew I had paid back all the overpayment, and even if there was anything left, I haven't heard from them asking for this money in about 4 years.

The letter states that I have ignored requests for payment and that's why they are involved, and unless I make payment in full or come to a satisfactory agreement with 7 days they will take action against me.

So what do I do?

My first thoughts are to send a letter to R/dales telling them I don't acknowledge any debt to them and that I request further information with regard to this supposed debt.

I also thought that I should write to the benefits office at the council, and explain that I have had this letter, after 4 years of silence, and that I thought the debt had been paid and ask them to come some arrangment whereby I can pay them direct.

Would this be the best course of action?

Re: Got a Letter from Rossendales

i think u should get in touch with the benefits office and ask what it was for and that you would like to know what money u owe and from where.then ask them to call off the DCA.say that u can pay them £5 a week of whatever it is you can afford.but only when u know where the moneys come from. ask for a statement so u can see the initial amount and all the payments u have made.

Comment

If there is any doubt about the debt you should dispute it and ask for proof, I would deal directly with Rossendales and let them go back to the council for the info.

Comment

Delta I'm with Jan on tnis one, have recently sent a letter to a DCA about hte same thing, I'll post a link if you want with the letter I sent.
        Is no longer here

Comment

Well I phoned the council and spoke to a really helpful person there, she went through my file and said that the overpyament had been so much and that I had been paying it off and then somehow it all stopped, but she does concede that it has been about 4 years since they last spoke to me about it, and the account has gone into a seperate 'classification' and that's why it got handed over the Rossendales. And as such I had to deal with R/dales.

So I phoned R/dales (yea I know, but I had to get this sorted) and they were very nice and have agreed a payment plan (£50 in the intrim, and then £10 a week from the end of the month), she is sending me the paperwork for a standing order.

I actually don't dispute the debt, and after the throrough talking with the helpful lady at the council, I am inclined to believe that I did stop paying as things were somewhat tight at the time financially.

Comment

at least its sorted out though now one less headache!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X