• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Friend being chased by Debt collectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend being chased by Debt collectors

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me here so that I can put my friends mind at rest.

My friend applied for an Abbey bank account last week Tuesday, and today received a ltter from a debt collecting agency stating that they have traced her regarding a debt. They did not state what the debt was and how much was owed.

Now, she has told me that she does have debt, but it is definately more that 6 years ago and she has not acknowledged or made any form of contact at all to them for more than 6 years.

When she applied for the bank account with Abbey, she had to give details of her employment. Will the debt collectors start sending letters to her work place or turn up? She is sick with worry and I really want to reassure her that her job is safe.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tya

Re: Friend being chaed by Debt collectors

I would imagine the applying for a bank account and the letter received from the debt collectors is just coincidental.

If it has been 6 years or longer since the debt was acknowledged then it does not matter whether the debt collector calls or visits her place of employment (which they are unlikely to do) as there will be nothing they can do in order to collect the debt.

As long as she is certain about how long ago she acknowledged it.

Comment

For now, file under Ignore.
      IF they come back with another letter we'll do something.
      Until then don't panic.
      DCA's say alot and most of it is utter Bovine Excrement

Comment

Thank you sooooo much for such a quick response. I will let her know now, so that she can sleep tonight.

Tya

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X