• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot trying to scam me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot trying to scam me

Some years ago, before we separated, my husband and I had a joint bank account. It went OD, we split up not long after and I forgot about it. Eventually the a/c went to Cabot and they got a CCJ. No worries, I knew about the debt and started paying off the CCJ. Then they contacted me about a second a/c with the same bank, at the same address, opened on the same date, etc and owing an almost identical amount.

I've kept all communication to email throughout. Told them this is a duplicate account (of the one with CCJ) and that I won't be paying anything until they provide proof of this second account. Today, they've sent 6 months of statements, saying they took over the account on 28/2/2019 and these statements prove that I own the account. Looks like I'm losing my mind because I'm positive that we only had one account. I went through the statements and, yes, they seem correct with my salary going in, my typical shopping habits, etc til I get to the final statement dated just 2 weeks before Cabot took over. There are 4 pages of refunds for bank charges, each one for £4-£6 and a closing balance of zero.

Doesn't that closing balance mean I don't owe anything??

I think the bank must've somehow messed up and duplicated the account, realised their error and refunded all the charges they added to the balance reducing it to zero - and the original debt that has a CCJ attached to it is somehow the original one. Is this even possible?

Why would Cabot tell me these statements prove I owe almost £500 when the closing balance is zero? Do they really think people are stupid?

I've stopped my payments on the CCJ til this is sorted out and told them to take me to court now they've provided the statements. Will they leave me alone now?
    Tags: None

I don't think they will. But there are things you can do.

a) What I would do is send a SAR to the original creditor, make sure you get Proof of Postage, this will give you information to identify what is what.

b) Once you get that information, make you case, lodge a formal complaint with the original creditor / Cabot. It can be done their website, follow their complaints procedure. If you aren't happy with the response, you can take the matter to the FOS, if they are at fault, you should be compensated.

c) You could consider raising a complaint with the ICO, as incorrect data was involved.

Comment

Thankyou Echat11. I sent my SARS request to Cabot which is why they've provided me with 6 months of statements. Seems weird that they've done that when the final statement says very clearly "closing balance £0.00" and they're telling me I owe almost £500. I'll send a SARS request to the bank in the morning, maybe that'll shed some light on why I have 2 accounts. Account numbers are very similar, just one digit different and its the ac number on this second account that is actually mine. I don't mind paying what I owe (and have been doing so) but I don't want to pay it twice!

Comment

Update when you get a response.

You really need to know what is what.

'Account numbers are very similar, just one digit different'.

This is unusual, unless the accounts were opened at the same time and one has been closed with 'zero' balance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X