• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowells-Charging order on Land Registry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowells-Charging order on Land Registry

My parents had a debt going back over 15 years ago that wouldn't except going into their IVA. The debt was then sold to Lowells. Last March/April Lowells offered my parents a full and final payment settlement figure for the account to which my parents accepted and paid. They have a letter from Lowells which says that the account is paid and £0 balance owing. Account is now closed. They were supposed to remove the charging order from the Land Registry on receipt of this. However, my parents wish to do equity release from their property and have learnt that it is still on there and cannot move ahead until it is removed. Lowells have now stated that a staff error was made and that the account should not have been closed and that the final remaining balance is still owed and have re-opened the account. Can they do this? My parents have a letter stating that the account is paid in full and no balance owing from them. My next question is how do they get the charging order removed from the land registry? Any help and advice greatly appreciated. My parents are elderly and this is causing severe stress.
    Tags: None

Hi TEAGIRL

Welcome to LB

A Full and Final Settlement is a legal contract, so they shouldn't be 'reneging' on it, it's legally binding.

Make a formal complaint in writing to Lowell's (complaints form or post) with the 'facts' explain that it is causing 'severe stress', follow their complaints procedure on their website.

https://www.lowell.co.uk/complaints-process/

They have 8 weeks to resolve the complaint, once they send you their final response / deadlock letter if you aren't happy with the outcome, the you can lodge a complaint with the Financial Compensation Service. You parents should be compensated for the 'stress' etc that this is causing them.

**Don't speak to them over the phone**

You have other avenues of complaint, but this is straightforward.

Update the thread with their response.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X