• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Updating address through letter resets statute of limitations clock?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating address through letter resets statute of limitations clock?

MBNA - Link Fin. 10k (2017 - default 2021) Last Payment: ~4 months before default - Have not contacted them since, received phone calls, odd letter.

Lloyds Bank - Link Fin. 5k (2016 - default 2021) Last Payment: ~4 months before default - Have not contacted them since, received phone calls, odd letter.

Virgin - Arrow 11k (2016 - default 2021) Last Payment: ~4 months before default - Was passed to Drydens, who sent LBA. Replied with medical issues, on Universal Credit, offered £4 spare per month. Think I ticked the offer box or the admit debt box. They advised send doctors stamped letter for them to consider write off, I said it will cost me £20, they said account closed with them, and future correspondence to CapQuest. Not heard from CapQuest yet.

Nationwide - Zinc? 8k (2015 - default 2021) Last Payment: ~4 months before default - Have not contacted them since, received phone calls, odd letter.

Hi all, these are all old CC debts.

Basically I have been at a new address for 2 years, I have been advised by another message board I should write to each of these just to state my new address, and only deal with them through letters.

I am worried about "resetting" the 6 year limitations clock. My letter just states the original CC account number and any reference, and says "this serves solely to update my mailing address on this account to: [new postal address]" then my name printed at the bottom.

I am unsure if this classifies as resetting the clock, I have read conflicting information such as "any acknowledgement of the account resets the clock" and also "only if you admit to the debt does it reset the clock".

Would appreciate if anyone could guide me if this is the right thing to do before I send them off.

Thanks
    Tags: None

they can find you if you on electoral roll and on CRA files banks register your address etc if change once you inform them also many other companies. see what is sent eventual but safe guard redirection of post for now?
    Last edited by MIKE770; 3rd November 2023, 18:45:PM.

Comment

Hi, thanks.

Do you mean it's not safe to write to them with the update? Will it reset the clock?

I actually just signed onto the electoral roll because I figured if I am updating them with my address I might as well be on the electoral roll and get history built up or maybe a rebuild credit CC.

I think you mean "sign on to the electoral roll and see what they send you"? Sorry I am a bit slow with reading comprehension.

The problem with redirection of post is that I have heard court letters have "do not redirect" on them. Also I think I have used up all my years of Royal Mail redirect (have been here ~3 years nearly) think the max is 4 and I am on 3.

Not sure if it's worth signing up for another year of redirect if court letters actually have "do not redirect" on. You know what I mean. Someone said I'm lucky a backdoor CCJ hasn't been filed cause they have my old address and Royal Mail screw up redirections all the time...
      Last edited by cat8; 3rd November 2023, 20:40:PM.

Comment

Check your credit agency score details like I said banks when you change address automatically record it on CRA files. = back door CCJ!s does happen when debt purchasers/ owners allow solicitors etc to play dirty not updating their file. so as you seem to be worried:- send a letter to them but admit nothing but state:- I understand you may correspond with me therefore all correspondence of any nature to this address .forthwith b get free proof of posting

Comment

Yeah I have had a few bank accounts at my new address for ~6 months on my CreditKarma, it has my new address but not received anything here yet from DRAs. I have about 6 bank accounts, 4 of them at new address.

By the credit file "having my new address from the banks = back door CCJ", do you mean they know my new address from the CRA but might serve it on my old address hoping I don't notice, all full well knowing that I don't live there anymore, in a hope it shows up as "debtor not responded" so they get some kind of default judgement?

Yeah will just write and say "this letter solely acts to update my correspondence address".

Thanks.

Comment

Sent letters as detailed above.

UPDATE:

Letter received at new address from MoorCroft (new) in regards to "MBNA account owned by LINK", (looks like they are dealing with one of the link accounts) saying:

"We have a personal matter with the above named person and have been informed this is their new address. If you are this person please call us on xxxxxxxx, also if you are not this person it is important you call us at this number also so we can update our records".

Just ignore until a LBA/LOC is received?

Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X