• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Legal threat from Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Legal threat from Cabot

Hi everyone

I have posted this again here as I think I posted it yesterday in the wrong forum section. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am in a panic as to what to do.
    I am new here and hoping I may be able to get some help regarding an email I have received from CABOT today?

I defaulted on an Aqua credit card last year (took card out in 2020) as I have been unwell with a new automimmune condition, which has left me bed bound 70% of the time and a recluse for the rest. I lost my self-employed job.

CABOT have been trying to call, txt and sent letters since this year but I have buried my head in the sand due to being unwell.

My last hard copy letter from CABOT was on 4th June 2023 stating:

'Your overdue debt requires action

You've been selected for legal action to commence by our solicitors. This is because you are not making payments to your account.

It is important you understand what the consequences are of not taking action now. If you continue to ignore this your account will be passed to our solicitors. Our Solicitors will then look to obtain a Count Court Judgement (CCJ).

.....'

Then, today (4th July) I have received an email from CABOT stating:

'(my name), legal action will begin in 14 days'

The debt is for an Aqua credit card for the amount of £2800.00.

I have never spoken to them and don't know how best to approach it as I am now on a very small amount of benefits and really stressed and upset as I just don't know what I am going to do.

Please may I get some advice on what I should do now? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Tags: None

Hi EM_C80

Welcome to LB

Firstly, stop worrying, it will make your condition worse.

What you could do is fill in an Income and Expenditure form -

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

but take into account the 'Cost of living crisis', energy, food etc. If they were to take you to Court, a Court will only ask you to pay what you could afford each month, so if that was £1 so be it. Send the I & E form with the following template, Send a letter from your Doctor if you can. They should agree to a small payment each month.

Amend the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage:-

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...-your-account/

Comment

Thank you, ECHAT11, that's really helpful.

Can I ask, I have seen in the forum that some others have their amount owed reduced but can't quite understand how. Is this something I can possibly get somehow?

The credit card was £2000 so the increase from Cabot is £800.00.

Thank you again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by EM_C80 View Post
        Thank you, ECHAT11, that's really helpful.

Can I ask, I have seen in the forum that some others have their amount owed reduced but can't quite understand how. Is this something I can possibly get somehow?

The credit card was £2000 so the increase from Cabot is £800.00.

Thank you again for your help.
        If you can't pay the £2,000 say tomorrow, don't bother trying to negotiate.

What you could do is fill the I &E form, get 'stabilized', health etc. carry on paying the monthly, say £1.

Save some money, make a reduced full and final settlement offer (see link below).

https://nationaldebtline.org/fact-sh...ent-offers-ew/

Also, they paid pennies in the pound, so will settle for a lot less then £2,000.

Comment

ECHAT11, this is so helpful, thank you so much :-) I will do this today and follow your advice. I will update when I get a response.

Thank you again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X