• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell chasing me for an alleged debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell chasing me for an alleged debt

Hi all.
    My first post here and I'm after some advice.
    I recently received a letter from Lowell regarding an alleged debt of which I have no knowledge.
    I've had no credit or debt for well over a decade now.
    I wrote to them and told them this. I've now received a letter which states that my account was previously managed by a company called Hoist, and that a CCJ is held on the account dated in 2015.
    The letter also states that because litigation action has already taken place on the account, that it is not statute barred under the Limitation Act 1980. I have never received any communication from Hoist, or have ever received a CCJ. I have absolutely no idea what this alleged debt is for. How would I next proceed with this situation ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Hi LIFEFORCE

Welcome to LB

Check if a CCJ exists on https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

If it does exist and you are unaware, it could be that Hoist sent the claim documents to a former address.
    But you need to find out what the debt is for, as you say, you are totally unaware of it.

Also because the CCJ might exist, it isn't straightforward for Lowell's to bring it back to Court because of the time that has passed.

Comment

Hi ECHAT11

Thanks for replying.
      I have checked and the CCJ case number which Lowell provided me with does not exist.
      Also I have lived at my present address for 25 years so there would be no former address for Hoist to send me any documentation.
      What would be my next step ?
      Ignore the letter from Lowell ?
      They have given me 30 days to reply or "collections activity will resume"
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lifeforce View Post
        Hi ECHAT11

Thanks for replying.
        I have checked and the CCJ case number which Lowell provided me with does not exist.
        Also I have lived at my present address for 25 years so there would be no former address for Hoist to send me any documentation.
        What would be my next step ?
        Ignore the letter from Lowell ?
        They have given me 30 days to reply or "collections activity will resume"
        Thanks
        You could write to them asking for copies of the documentation they are referring to. It could be that Hoist sent the documentation to the wrong address, that's the only way they would have got a CCJ, as you've lived at your address for 25 years and not received any documents for the alleged debt.

Comment

While a CCJ will not be statute barred, if it is over 6 years old (I think) they would have to apply to the court for permission to enforce it and the longer the gap, the greater there reason would need to be. I had some CCJ's granted back in the 1990's which I stopped paying around 2010, not comeback at all from either of them.

Comment

I received a Notice of Issue of Warrant of Control today. I don't know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrose View Post
              I received a Notice of Issue of Warrant of Control today. I don't know what to do.
              Please could you kindly start your own thread.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X