• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wife died now I have debt letters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife died now I have debt letters

My wife passed away in March.

​​​​​​I moved house in September from Scotland to England and I am now living with family.

​​My wife was the account holder for Vigin Media. I cancelled the direct debit in September​​

Today I received a letter (via redirected mail) from a debt collection agency for circa £250.

​​​​​​​Where do I stand? If they discover she is deceased can they track me down as her surviving partner and to my new address?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​Also, I signed up to C-Date and then cancelled my membership. The company is based in Switzerland. I thought they only had my email but I received a letter today (via redirected mail) for an outstanding debt. There is lots of content relating to C-Date online as it's impossible to cancel your membership

​​​​​​​Please advise.​​​
    Tags: None

You should notify Virgin Media of your wife's passing: otherwise how are they to know the reason for cessation of payment?
    Last edited by atticus; 30th December 2022, 16:31:PM.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Ok thanks but I believe that when a person dies, their executor is responsible for the debt

Comment

Depends on the estate monies if any sure others will advise in more detail

Comment

You are not liable for her debts.

You are liable for C-Date debts.

Comment

Originally posted by justiceman View Post
            Ok thanks but I believe that when a person dies, their executor is responsible for the debt
            The executor is responsible for ensuring that the debts are paid by the estate. If the estate is does not have sufficient funds the executor is not obliged to dip into his own pocket. Otherwise we would all be rewriting our wills and naming Nigel Farridge as executor.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X