• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Global Debt Recovery Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Debt Recovery Ltd

I had a letter this morning, out of the blue from Global Debt Recovery Ltd. It had just one line: “We would appreciate your assistance and ask that you call us”. It has its own reference but no indication as to what the matter relates. I do have 2 credit cards that I’m paying off under arrangement but have had no letters to say the debt is being moved elsewhere. I’ve therefore no idea what this is about, is it likely to be some kind of fishing expedition relating to one of the cards? I’m at a a loss but don’t want to get in touch with them and thereby confirm where I am etc.

Any advice, as always, much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

I think you've already answered your own question so if you don't want to confirm where you are living then just ignore it. The two debts you are repaying, do they know about your current address?

Although it could be a fishing expedition I don't see any harm in writing or calling them to confirm what it is they want to discuss, unless you are intentionally seeking to avoid being caught.

Bear in mind, if there is a dispute or potential dispute which will result in legal proceedings and you fail to respond, it's possible they might determine that the lack of response means you may not be living at your current address and then they may use an alternative address to send all legal forms and documentation. The result being you could end up with a county court judgment against your name.

Everyone has their own way of doing things whether that's ignoring it or responding to it but if you have no other debts you're aware of then Global Debt Recovery must have got your details from somewhere and it must be debt related.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you. I’m not trying to hide from anything. I’ve been maintaining my card payments but wondered if one of them, without telling me, might have sold the debt on, that’s all. I’m just wary of these people and don’t want to initiate any correspondence. I’m assuming they would have mentioned more specifics in the letter if it was a bona fide approach. No idea otherwise why they’re sending it.

Comment

I guess you wouldn't know if you didn't find out. It's possible the reason for the vagueness of the letter will probably come down to data protection and not wanting to divulge information about a particular person if sent to the wrong address, which although annoying, is not unreasonable.

If the debt was sold on, there is a legal requirement to give you notice of the assignment in writing but it is possible that could have happened. Global Debt Recovery appear to be a debt collector only so they are likely acting on behalf of the creditor. It may be for them to check in or it may be that they want to increase the repayment amount.

Personally for me, I prefer to write or if they have an email address, send an email. Telephone calls are difficult to prove unless you have a recording of it and they may try to be aggressive over the phone or put you into an awkward situation. At least with written correspondence they have to be careful how they act.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X