• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Slander/defamation by debt collection company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slander/defamation by debt collection company

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure.

My business has an outstanding debt with a supplier which they've now passed to a debt collection agency. They are a very aggressive company using all the usual bullying tactics of threatening to turn up at our premises, statutory demands etc. We have told them we will pay in 2 instalments as like a lot of small businesses, we have recently lost a lot of work due to price hikes and the wider economy issues. We will be fine, but cash flow is an issue at the moment like it is for most.

The debt collection company keep leaving aggressive and untrue voicemails on the office answer machine. This morning they have named me personally and said that we are trading insolvently and it's a criminal offence etc etc and how i will be held personally liable. This isn't the case and a member of staff listened to the message and is now obviously worried.

I have emailed the company and asked them to stop leaving messages as it's now harassment and slander/defamation given they've just left an untrue voicemail that has been heard by others.

Can anyone advise? I will absolutely sue them, they are just disgusting people honestly, like small businesses don't have enough to deal with right now.

Thanks
    Tags: None

They will reason that if you can afford any threatened action, you can pay up in full

Yes, they can be disgusting people, but sometimes (not this time) they have to dealn with similar types, and the sad but simple truth is that the louder they shout, the more effective they are.

A promise to pay in instalments is best accompanied by a payment.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
      They will reason that if you can afford any threatened action, you can pay up in full

Yes, they can be disgusting people, but sometimes (not this time) they have to dealn with similar types, and the sad but simple truth is that the louder they shout, the more effective they are.

A promise to pay in instalments is best accompanied by a payment.
      We have made a payment. And even without that, leaving untrue statements on a shared answer machine is highly damaging and illegal.

Comment

careful your posting as many are hearsay and not factual, very difficult area these days damaging/illigal, DCAs can ask for repayment but there are regulated limits in action and demands, debt collection regulations have much to say on the issue,

just because DCA are initially getting to the point they tend to ease off near limit of what they can say etc when you do not bite, as far as repayment agreements tell them what you will agree in so many payments , no income expenditure to these commission based companies no powers to demand them. tell what you will pay and that is it. all in writing and get proof posting free post office keep a file. of course if you agree you owe such monies???

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X