• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt collection letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collection letter

Hi, I have received a letter from a company called Capquest saying that they are acting on behalf of American Express to collect £5000 from me.
    shocked isn't the word a I last had an American Express card 22 years ago and nothing from them since.
    My current situation is - full time work and earn under £20k a year, married with 2 kids under 10 and my wife earns under £11k a year, no benefits received and have a mortgage on property plus credit score of 743 with Clearscore and no default in the last 6 years.

Can anybody advise me on what to do with this letter?

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Hi COCOBEAR

Providing you haven't made a payment or acknowledged in writing the debt in the last 6 years, the debt is Statute Barred.

So although they can pursue (fruitless for them, unless you are minded to settle it) the debt, they can't enforce it through the courts.

You can send the following template / make sure you amend it, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...cover-debt-ew/

Comment

times must be bad for the DCAs scrapping barrels in the hope people are non the wiser about statute barred debt, time action against and bankrupt them for false proceedings!

Comment

Also I have received a text from Capquest this morning. Surely it becomes harassment now.

Comment

Did you send the template letter above

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
            Did you send the template letter above
            As Mike says you need to send the template (make sure you have proof of postage), then lodge a complaint if they don't back off and continue to pursue.

Comment

I've been advised to contest the debt with a letter I've printed off. As I did have an American Express card years ago something could be there. Once they provide proof then I will send the Statute Barred letter. It appears that Capquest chance there arm massively with these things so have already contacted the FCA and laid a complaint as Capquest have texted me as well. Not sure where they got my number from though.

Comment

Also thank you for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocobear View Post
                  I've been advised to contest the debt with a letter I've printed off. As I did have an American Express card years ago something could be there. Once they provide proof then I will send the Statute Barred letter. It appears that Capquest chance there arm massively with these things so have already contacted the FCA and laid a complaint as Capquest have texted me as well. Not sure where they got my number from though.
                  Just bare in mind the FCA doesn't investigate individual complaints, they will sympathize, note the information provided and refer you back to the creditor and FOS to lodge complaints.

Comment

Take care when writing not to admit to the debt. That kills statute barred.

Just send the statute barred letter suggested.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X