• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dafaulted on Halifax Mortgage Debt Now WIth Cabot Financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dafaulted on Halifax Mortgage Debt Now WIth Cabot Financial

HI all,

Looking for advice. We bought a house in N Ireland in 2007 for £180k. The recession came and the value dropped to approx. £90k. We moved to Australia in 2010 and kept paying the interest only mortgage. In April 2018 we contacted Halifax and arranged for a voluntary surrender of the property. We sent back all the info they requested and the keys in April 2018.

We heard very little from Halifax for several months then we started getting letters from Moorcroft debt collection. We did not engage with Moorcroft and in August 2019 the letters and phone calls stopped.

Today i got a letter from Halifax stating that as of October 21 Lloyds Banking Group had assigned its rights to Cabot Financial. The outstanding balance on the account is £100,000.

We no longer live in the UK/N Ireland, the letter came to an old address of mine and was forwarded on to me.

As the debt is now nearly 4 years old since we voluntarily surrendered the property is there a limit of time they have to collect this debt in N Ireland?

As we reside outside the jurisdiction what rights do Cabot have and any other advice i would appreciate.

Thanks,
    Tags: None

Mortgage shortfalls have a longer limitation period of twelve years for the money you borrowed (the 'capital'), while the interest charged on this has a limitation period of six years.

Comment

well thy have a big problem then. no corresponding with them (do they know you left UK?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
        well thy have a big problem then. no corresponding with them (do they know you left UK?
        I told the Halifax i don't live in the UK anymore when we were doing the voluntary surrender. I was expecting them to engage with us to find a solution and i was shocked they went straight to Moorcroft without dealing direct with me.

Is it strange that Moorcroft had a go first and now Cabot are on the case?

I have no plans to communicate with them. Do you think this is the best strategy?

Comment

moorcroft only hopeful collection agents no powers no collect no money to them. cabot debt buyer at pennies in pound hope to get rich quick

you do not live here so not much they can do ? sure other will comment but do not contact them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X