• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt sold to Luxembourg registered company in 2021 (post-Brexit)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt sold to Luxembourg registered company in 2021 (post-Brexit)

Hello. I received a letter stating that a supposed credit card debt was sold to a Luxembourg registered business (LC Asset 2 S.à r.l.) in 2021. The letter says that Link Financial Outsourcing Limited (Link) has been appointed by LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. to manage the account. Furthermore, a letter from the UK bank stating that the supposed credit card debt was sold to LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. in 2021 was also included. I have never been sent or have seen this letter from the UK bank before.

My question is, please, can a UK bank sell a supposed UK credit card debt to an EU registered company post-Brexit? LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. is not registered with companies House. Link (who are registered at Companies House) have signed the letter on behalf of LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. and have given the postal address of LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. as Caerphilly. Thank you for any advice.
    Tags: None

Why don't you call your Bank and pose this question to them?

Comment

Originally posted by DDV View Post
      Hello. I received a letter stating that a supposed credit card debt was sold to a Luxembourg registered business (LC Asset 2 S.à r.l.) in 2021. The letter says that Link Financial Outsourcing Limited (Link) has been appointed by LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. to manage the account. Furthermore, a letter from the UK bank stating that the supposed credit card debt was sold to LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. in 2021 was also included. I have never been sent or have seen this letter from the UK bank before.

My question is, please, can a UK bank sell a supposed UK credit card debt to an EU registered company post-Brexit? LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. is not registered with companies House. Link (who are registered at Companies House) have signed the letter on behalf of LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. and have given the postal address of LC Asset 2 S.à r.l. as Caerphilly. Thank you for any advice.
      Hello. I have but they could not confirm the particulars of my question.

Comment

• LC ASSET HOLDINGS LIMITED

12793180 - Incorporated on 5 August 2020

107 Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom, DN31 3ER
        • LCC ASSETS LTD

05229359 - Incorporated on 13 September 2004

12 Meyrick Park Crescent, Bournemouth, BH3 7AQ
        • one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
          • LC ASSET HOLDINGS LIMITED

12793180 - Incorporated on 5 August 2020

107 Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom, DN31 3ER
          • LCC ASSETS LTD

05229359 - Incorporated on 13 September 2004

12 Meyrick Park Crescent, Bournemouth, BH3 7AQ
          • one of these?
          No, it is :
          LC Asset 2 Sàrl
          Rue de la Poste 20
          2346 Luxembourg
          Luxembourg

Comment

Nothing I am aware of in law that prohibits foreign companies from purchasing UK-related debt, happens all the time.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
              Nothing I am aware of in law that prohibits foreign companies from purchasing UK-related debt, happens all the time.
              Thank you all for your posts and clarifications. I suppose it was more the fact that LC Asset 2 Sàrl's address on the letter from Link was the same address that Link uses (Caerphilly) and the fact that I could not find LC Asset 2 Sàrl on the Companies House website at this address or any other UK address.

Comment

I could not find LC Asset 2 Sàrl on the Companies House website at this address or any other UK address
                That's because it's a foreign company so you aren't going to find it on Companies House. Foreign companies must registered on CH if they are doing business in the UK and meet the relevant criteria. Otherwise there is no obligation.

I suppose it was more the fact that LC Asset 2 Sàrl's address on the letter from Link was the same address that Link uses (Caerphilly)
                Link will be acting as an agent on behalf of LC Asset which again is perfectly fine and not illegal/unlawful to do that. If you are looking for some kind of technicality as to whether it's enforceable since it was purchased by a foreign entity, I wouldn't bother.

Your main focus should be whether or not you admit the debt, if they have satisfied the criteria for a legal assignment and/or if there are any other grounds for denying liability such as the debt being time barred. A starting point would be to make a subject access request to the bank that sold the debt and seeing what information they hold and if it stacks up to what Link are suggesting.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

That's because it's a foreign company so you aren't going to find it on Companies House. Foreign companies must registered on CH if they are doing business in the UK and meet the relevant criteria. Otherwise there is no obligation.

Link will be acting as an agent on behalf of LC Asset which again is perfectly fine and not illegal/unlawful to do that. If you are looking for some kind of technicality as to whether it's enforceable since it was purchased by a foreign entity, I wouldn't bother.

Your main focus should be whether or not you admit the debt, if they have satisfied the criteria for a legal assignment and/or if there are any other grounds for denying liability such as the debt being time barred. A starting point would be to make a subject access request to the bank that sold the debt and seeing what information they hold and if it stacks up to what Link are suggesting.
                  Thank you very much !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X