• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Help regarding SB debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Help regarding SB debt

Hi guys been sent over here by the admins at MSE hope you guys can help.

I historic debts with Lowell some I have managed to get wiped because of SB being in place.

I have five which the default date would suggest they should be barred however Lowell are putting the following argument

Accounts xxx xxx xxx xxx are not barred as suggested in your letter. this is because under the limitation act 1980 a debt is enforceable for six years from date of your last payment. Your past payments for these account are as follow

xx1 £5 - 25th Feb Direct Debit ( Rejected)
    xx2 £5 - 25th Feb Direct Debit ( Rejected)
    xx3 £5 - 25th Feb Direct Debit ( Rejected)
    xx4 £5 - 25th Feb Direct Debit ( Rejected)

My argument be it right or wrong has to be is a failed payment classed as a payment thus resetting the time period to a new 6 year cycle.

I don't have records of when my last cleared payment would have been with Lowell due to poor record keeping along with changing of banks etc I'm assuming the onus is on them to prove when the last cleared payment was made and I am aware I may have to take this to court the debts mentioned are only around £600 in total however I have around £4,000 in debts that I aim to tackle over a 12/24 month period which are not barred

Do you think a offer of wipe the ones I'm contesting in return for a commitment to clear the ones that are still enforceable would be a good middle ground in light that I have made no attempt to offer/settle these debts for 3 years now ( the enforceable ones )
    Tags: None

could be interpreted as admittance of an existing debt, as attempts made to pay?? sure others will be along soon to comment

Comment

Hey Mike

thanks for the reply I have sent CCA requests in the first instance, upon getting these all mail has been by recorded and with the letters starting without prejudice not sure if this covers me

Comment

Anyone active here?

Comment

Direct Debits are not an attempt by bank account holder to pay but are an attempt by the creditor to collect money from the account.
          They are initiated by the creditor and will be rejected if the authority has been revoked or there is insufficient funds in the account.

IMO Lowell cannot claim a rejected DD is an attempt to pay or an acknowledgement of the debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X