• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

London Scottish £10,000 loan ? not taken out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Scottish £10,000 loan ? not taken out

My mum has been paying for a £10,000 loan from London Scottish that she doesn't remember applying for or receiving. As soon as she realised she stopped paying and contacted the company who are now threatening tot ake her to court.

They have sent her a cheque for £10,000 after she told them she never received any money from them. They claim the loan was taken out in September 2006.

She has brain damage and suffers from meory loss and confusion, hence why she's been paying for something she knows nothing about.

Where does she stand with this and what does she need to do to sort it??

She is in a terrible state with worry.

Thanks

Re: London Scottish £10,000 loan ? not taken out

Hi Jellybe4n,

Welcome to LB.

Firstly do everything in writing so you have a paper trail to refer back to.

Has she cashed the Cheque? When did they send it to her?
    How long has she been paying for this loan?
    Have you checked all her bank statements to make sure she did not recieve this money two years ago?
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Comment

Hi Mochamoo

Thanks for your quick response :o)

She has not cashed the cheque, she thinks they sent it to her last week or the week before as she remembers having to sign for something.

We are currently fighting with her bank to get copies of all her statements - she has problems with post going missing so wants them sent to the branch, which they are refusing to do!?!? She is going to ask them to add me as a 3rd party on the account to help her with it.

I presume, if they have sent her another cheque then their records show she did not receive any money 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I am in Cornwall and my mum is in Newcastle, so I am desperately trying to help her over the telephone.

Comment

Do you have any sort of legal authority to assist with her paperwork because of her problems?

the first thing as you say is to get a copy of the loan agreement and all the statements . there are standard letters on the site.

You do really need to be involved somehow as The company may ask her to sign documents now which may not be a good idea and It seems she does need someone who lives close to her to assist .

I dont see why the papers could not be collected at a branch as long as she took ID . Then you would need her to send you copies.
        "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Hi Scoobydoo

No, I don't have any legal authority to assisst with her paperwork as up until now she has (somehow) managed to look after it herself.

I have told her to write to the company and request a copy of the loan agreement. But her bank (Alliance and Leicester) are currently refusing to send any statements anywhere other than her address! I have tried to phone them on her behalf but can't even get through the automated system to speak to a person! Her branhc are more than happy to receive the statements for her.

She has two close friends in Newcastle that are trying to help her, but I am not sure how helpful they are likely to be iyswim.

I have also told her to contact the CAB and she has a social worker and CCCS person coming to see her next thursday - I have rearranged shifts so that I am at home as she wants to phone me to talk to them when they are there, which is probably a good idea to be honest!

Comment

Consumer Credit Act 1974 Request for Original Copy of Agreement

You will need this letter from the library section.

And if I was you I would call the local branch and ask to speak to a manager . Explain you are fully aware of confidentiality of your mothers account. However you are asking for their assistance to get all the paperwork and evidence she needs sent to the branch ASAP. Explain the situation and say that if they do not assist you with this simple request you will have to have to take this matter further.

You are not asking them about confidential information - you are telling them what you want.

I suggest you get your mother to send an SAR from the library on all accounts you may think are relevant - the current acount and the loan.(if she has not done so already)

If you can get copies set to you ( maybe CAB might help) then maybe we can help .

There may yeven be charges to reclaim.

Make it clear to theperson you speak to they ar dealing with a vunerable person and could be answering awkward questions if they dont assist . And get the persons name. And as soon as you come of the phone make a note of the conversation in full.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh also in the library there is a letter about puttng the account in dispute thatmight be worth your mother sending as well.

But I think the advice is to print her ame rather than sign it? Otherwise her signature could be copied? ( sorry not an expert in this area)

Scooby
            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

OK

My mum is going to send me copies of all the paperwork she can find relating tot his loan and her bank account over the last 2 years. I am then going to request a copy of the CCA be sent to her address by recorded delivery (so it does not get lost) enclosing sufficient payment to cover the £1 fee and the cost of recorded delivery.

I have told her not to send them anything with her signature on and to refuse to talk to them on the phone or in person, but to insist they write to her. I do hope she remembers this if they call

I will also phone her branch of her bank to discuss getting copies of her last 2 years statements to her branch for her to collect. I have asked her to send me copies of any paperwork she receives from now on. She is going to the bank tomorrow to find out how to add me as a 3rd party so I can request information direct from them.

Thanks for your replies, I will keep you updated!

Fingers crossed we can get this sorted.

Comment

Jelly, we will give you as much help and advice as we can here, but may I suggest that instead or as well as contacting CAB and CCCS that you also contact MIND who can also provide help. Although not mentally ill and I do not suggest for one second she is, this organisation do help with ALL matters surrounding mental health including brain damage. Here is their link Mind (National Association for Mental Health)

Also one of our members Happyolddog has links with an organisation that deals with brain damage (sorry Happy I forget their name) I will draw his attention to this thread too to see if he can offer some assistance too.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by jellybe4n View Post
                  My mum has been paying for a £10,000 loan from London Scottish that she doesn't remember applying for or receiving. As soon as she realised she stopped paying and contacted the company who are now threatening tot ake her to court.

Contact London Scottish, demand they send any agreement your mum has made in reference to the loan. Forget about the threat of court action, they don't have any grounds for this,it is a threat which you could point out to them as it is distressing your poor mum.

They have sent her a cheque for £10,000 after she told them she never received any money from them. They claim the loan was taken out in September 2006.

Send the cheque back with a letter stating the above and ask that any money paid to them be returned.

She has brain damage and suffers from meory loss and confusion, hence why she's been paying for something she knows nothing about.

Where does she stand with this and what does she need to do to sort it??

She is in a terrible state with worry.

Thanks
                  As a family member you are entitled to write the letter on behalf of your mum and sign it on her behalf.
                  Make sure you word the letter very strongly and send it to the company secretary at
                  London Scottish Bank plc
                  201 Deansgate
                  Manchester
                  M3 3NW

Good luck,
                  Hod..Liam..

P.s, If this doesn't get it sorted I have some contact with disability organizations who will help you get this sorted.
                  Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Give them 14 days to sort this out (state the 14 days on your letter) If after this period they have not contacted you, this Government run disabled persons organization will help.

If you have any comments or questions please contact the ODI at: office-for-disability-issues@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.
                    You can write to the ODI at the following address:
                    Office for Disability Issues
                    6th Floor
                    The Adelphi
                    1-11 John Adam Street
                    London WC2N 6HT
                    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Thanks happydog I will certainly take your advice and write to them myself.
                      Will keep you all posted...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X