• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Better deal for credit card users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better deal for credit card users

New deal for credit card users from January 2011

The new deal took account of feedback from thousands of consumers to a government consultation on credit cards. If you use a credit card, the changes that will affect you are:

• your most expensive debt will be paid off first, and minimum payments on new credit card accounts will cover more than they do at present
    • better repayment plans will be offered to new customers
    • if you are at risk of financial difficulty, your card company may be banned from extending your credit limit
    • you will have the right to 60 days to reject interest rate increases

A key change is that your payments will go towards clearing the debts on which you're charged the highest interest first. Previously, you could not repay your most expensive debt until after you had repaid debt charged at lower rates.
    The government expects the new rights to save consumers almost £300 million a year. An industry forecast has placed the figure at £500 million.
    Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "Step by step, we are moving the balance of power back towards consumers. These new rights will put an end to the irresponsible lending practices that people have been most concerned about, and help cut the cost of borrowing."
    Consumer Minister Kevin Brennan said: "We discovered most people did not know the charges worked this way. They thought it was unfair and confusing. They naturally wanted to pay off their most expensive debts first."
    Find out more about the consultation by following the link belo

Review of the regulation of credit and store cards

Better deal for credit card users : Directgov - Newsroom
    Tags: None

Re: Better deal for credit card users

This is something that has concerned me for ages and 2011 is the year that I wake up and do something about it. Well over 10 years ago I drew some cash on my credit card to help my son out - who else. I am still paying a hefty amount of interest back each month.....how many more years will this go on. I always pay more than the minimum on this card, maybe one day I will be able to pay it in full but now I cannot. So how comes I am still paying interest on cash drawn?

I will make this my 2011 job to get to the bottom of this.

Comment

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore...n-response.pdf

Comment

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...4?pageNumber=1

Comment

LloydsTSB and NatWest are both doing that as of 1st January 2010.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

not sure if this works
            http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/...pdf&images=yes
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X