• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Link Financial re HFO ALLEGED DEBT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Financial re HFO ALLEGED DEBT

Hi,

I have recently been contacted by Link Financial about an alleged debt that they took over from HFO Services in 2014.

I have no recollection of having a debt with HFO Services, so asked for more details and they said it is a debt from Clydesdale Bank in 1998! Unfortunately, I am no wiser.

I have asked for a copy of the original contract but Link say they are unable to provide this as HFO Services ceased trading in 2015.

However-, if Link bought the alleged debt the year before HFO ceased trading, surely they would have got all details of the alleged debt when taking it over in 2014?

Link further claim that they put a charge on my property in 2018 for the alleged debt, I have no recollection of this either, but will be contacting the Land Registry anyway tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this please?
    Tags: None

If you are in Scotland, things probably work differently. Although the general principal might be the same, you'll need to check that out.

I would send Link a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the debt that they have.
    From the sounds of it, the debt might be statute barred providing you haven't made a payment in 6 years or acknowledged the debt in writing.

The question then is, how did they get a charge on the house, if it's statute barred?

Comment

I think it is 5 years in Scotland not 6 mys.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
        I think it is 5 years in Scotland not 6 mys.
        Hi DE DOGS,

I am actually in England, thank you for your reply.

xx

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          If you are in Scotland, things probably work differently. Although the general principal might be the same, you'll need to check that out.

I would send Link a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the debt that they have.
          From the sounds of it, the debt might be statute barred providing you haven't made a payment in 6 months or acknowledged the debt in writing.

The question then is, how did they get a charge on the house, if it's statute barred?
          Hi echat11

Thank you very much for your advice, I am in England, so the advice you have given would be valid .

I have contacted Links and asked for a SAR. I haven`t made any payments in the last 6 months, nor have I acknowledged the debt in writing as I didn`t even know it existed.

I am currently in hospital, but as soon as I am out, I will contact the Land Registry to ask if there is indeed a charge on the property, I don`t see how there can possibly be?

I will keep you informed and thanks for helping me.

Comment

Originally posted by redrose281 View Post

Hi echat11

Thank you very much for your advice, I am in England, so the advice you have given would be valid .

I have contacted Links and asked for a SAR. I haven`t made any payments in the last 6 months, nor have I acknowledged the debt in writing as I didn`t even know it existed.

I am currently in hospital, but as soon as I am out, I will contact the Land Registry to ask if there is indeed a charge on the property, I don`t see how there can possibly be?

I will keep you informed and thanks for helping me.
            Correction - It should read 6 years, not 6 months.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X