• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

Collapse
Loading...
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

    Morning!

    A few months ago I signed up to noddle to get an idea of what marks were left on my credit file from when I had a difficult few years around 2010. To my surprise I had a default I didn't recognise on there from 2014, after a little investigation this turned out to be a debt I originally held with Vanquis for a credit card, the debt was sold on to the Lewis Group on 10.01.2012 and subsequently to another debt collection agency who were then purchased by Hoist Portfolio holding LTD, all this time I was in a DMP and repaying all agreed sums on time.

    My problem is that my default was registered 2 years after the default actually happened - on the 31st Jan 2014, which is (coincidentally) the date the debt was sold by the Lewis group to the second debt recovery company. I've spoken to vanquis a week ago who on the phone agreed that this is the wrong default date, and that they don't have a firm default date (seriously...?) but think it was sometime around Jan-Feb of 2012.

    So I passed this information to Hoist who said they will chase an update from Vanquis and to give them a call back in a week.

    Today I called them and apparently vanquis have now confirmed a default date of 31.01.2014 which makes no sense, seeing as I'd not held an account with vanquis on that date, they had sold it on to another DRA.. this coincides with the date the lewis group sold the debt to another company, presumably a delay in payment due to the change of DRA triggered something, but why 2 years after the debt was sold and -way- after I was more than 6 months behind on payments.

    The information I'm getting from all parties involved is skittish and fragmented at best, they don't really seem to know what has happened, but are more than happy to leave the default date on my CRA file as 2014, even though the people I've spoken to seem to think this isn't accurate!?


    Tearing my hair out today with this because over the next year I should have a clean credit file, but now this could push things back to 2020... and I'm desperate to get a mortgage!
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

    Originally posted by Tucker64 View Post
    Morning!

    A few months ago I signed up to noddle to get an idea of what marks were left on my credit file from when I had a difficult few years around 2010. To my surprise I had a default I didn't recognise on there from 2014, after a little investigation this turned out to be a debt I originally held with Vanquis for a credit card, the debt was sold on to the Lewis Group on 10.01.2012 and subsequently to another debt collection agency who were then purchased by Hoist Portfolio holding LTD, all this time I was in a DMP and repaying all agreed sums on time.

    My problem is that my default was registered 2 years after the default actually happened - on the 31st Jan 2014, which is (coincidentally) the date the debt was sold by the Lewis group to the second debt recovery company. I've spoken to vanquis a week ago who on the phone agreed that this is the wrong default date, and that they don't have a firm default date (seriously...?) but think it was sometime around Jan-Feb of 2012.

    So I passed this information to Hoist who said they will chase an update from Vanquis and to give them a call back in a week.

    Today I called them and apparently vanquis have now confirmed a default date of 31.01.2014 which makes no sense, seeing as I'd not held an account with vanquis on that date, they had sold it on to another DRA.. this coincides with the date the lewis group sold the debt to another company, presumably a delay in payment due to the change of DRA triggered something, but why 2 years after the debt was sold and -way- after I was more than 6 months behind on payments.

    The information I'm getting from all parties involved is skittish and fragmented at best, they don't really seem to know what has happened, but are more than happy to leave the default date on my CRA file as 2014, even though the people I've spoken to seem to think this isn't accurate!?


    Tearing my hair out today with this because over the next year I should have a clean credit file, but now this could push things back to 2020... and I'm desperate to get a mortgage!
    Hi,

    You will need to check all the other CRA's as they will no doubt have the same data.

    Make Formal Complaints to the credit ref. agencies and to Vanquis and to the current owner of the account.

    If you don't get the desired result and they continue to show the wrong date you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.

    nem

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

      Hi Tucker64

      and I'm desperate to get a mortgage!
      How desperate?
      Could you offer Hoist a full & final (reduced) payment?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

      This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

      You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb


      There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.


      "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

        Hi!
        Thanks for the response!

        Sorry, I didn't make this as clear as I should have initially (was on the phone to Vanquis making a formal complaint) The debt was settled in September of 2015, I have no outstanding debts with defaults against them.

        In reply to the initial question, I can wait 3 years, but I'd much prefer not to... the silver lining of this would be a higher deposit for a lower rate mortgage (if I can get one!)
        [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] - I've checked with Noddle (Call credit?) and Experian, both show identical information.

        Bit of an update, I've spoken to my old DMP company and they said that they have a final demand letter from vanquis from the 16th Feb 2012 and the debt was sold to the lewis group at the end of Feb of 2012 and my DMP were advised to contact the lewis group via their portal.

        Presumably the debt cant be defaulted by a company that no longer owns the debt? Would it be worth a DSAR to Vanquis to find out what they have on file?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

          Originally posted by Tucker64 View Post
          Hi!
          Thanks for the response!

          Sorry, I didn't make this as clear as I should have initially (was on the phone to Vanquis making a formal complaint) The debt was settled in September of 2015, I have no outstanding debts with defaults against them.

          In reply to the initial question, I can wait 3 years, but I'd much prefer not to... the silver lining of this would be a higher deposit for a lower rate mortgage (if I can get one!)
          @nemesis45 - I've checked with Noddle (Call credit?) and Experian, both show identical information.

          Bit of an update, I've spoken to my old DMP company and they said that they have a final demand letter from vanquis from the 16th Feb 2012 and the debt was sold to the lewis group at the end of Feb of 2012 and my DMP were advised to contact the lewis group via their portal.

          Presumably the debt cant be defaulted by a company that no longer owns the debt? Would it be worth a DSAR to Vanquis to find out what they have on file?
          The original creditor i.e. Vanquis would have registered the initial default. That default date cannot be changed by a debt purchaser.

          As to the " Formal Complaint" to Vanquis I would not rely on a phone call, to dispute a data error it needs to be in writing by signed for post and addressed to the Data Controller.

          nem

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

            Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            The original creditor i.e. Vanquis would have registered the initial default. That default date cannot be changed by a debt purchaser.

            As to the " Formal Complaint" to Vanquis I would not rely on a phone call, to dispute a data error it needs to be in writing by signed for post and addressed to the Data Controller.

            nem
            Thanks nem,

            Do you know where I can find a template letter or similar? I'm pretty useless at writing letters

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

              Originally posted by Tucker64 View Post
              Thanks nem,

              Do you know where I can find a template letter or similar? I'm pretty useless at writing letters
              The Data Controller
              Vanquis Bank.
              Date...................
              Formal Complaint.

              Ref: Credit File Entry
              Account No. or Reference........................

              Sir/Madam,

              I refer you to my recent contact with Vanquis Bank regarding the default date Vanquis has registered on my credit reference files I believe that the date the default recorded is placed unfairly late as the actual default occurred on date..............................

              I request that Vanquis now revises the date registered to that when the default occurred i.e. date.................:

              I am placing formal notices of dispute regarding the credit file with all three credit reference agencies and their subsidiary sites.

              As you are aware a Formal Complaint allows the recipient 56 days in which to fully investigate and respond if no resolution is reached I shall refer my complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.

              Yours etc.

              I would get the dispute registered on you files asap.

              nem

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Wrong details on Credit file.. passed from pillar to post.

                Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                The Data Controller
                Vanquis Bank.
                Date...................
                Formal Complaint.

                Ref: Credit File Entry
                Account No. or Reference........................

                Sir/Madam,

                I refer you to my recent contact with Vanquis Bank regarding the default date Vanquis has registered on my credit reference files I believe that the date the default recorded is placed unfairly late as the actual default occurred on date..............................

                I request that Vanquis now revises the date registered to that when the default occurred i.e. date.................:

                I am placing formal notices of dispute regarding the credit file with all three credit reference agencies and their subsidiary sites.

                As you are aware a Formal Complaint allows the recipient 56 days in which to fully investigate and respond if no resolution is reached I shall refer my complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.

                Yours etc.

                I would get the dispute registered on you files asap.

                nem
                Many thanks!

                I've disputed it once before and it was rejected by Hoist as they went with what vanquis have told them.

                Comment

                View our Terms and Conditions

                LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

                If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.


                If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

                Announcement

                Collapse

                Court Claim ?

                Guides and Letters
                Loading...



                Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

                Find a Law Firm


                Working...
                X