• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

can someone please advise me! STRESSED **BT**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone please advise me! STRESSED **BT**

I used to have an account with BT back in 2008-2009. When I was moving house in 2009, i cancelled my contract paid what i owed and gave them my forwarding address.

Today, three years later, I have received an alert from equifax to say an item has been added to my credit file from BT. BT never had any entries on my credit report at all, up until now. They havent put any history of payments from month to month like the other companys do abot paid on time, missed payments etc. There is just a red box saying defaulted. It stays the date of default is feb 2010 (but only been put on this week)

I am sooo distressed about this, i am planning to appy for a mortgage next year and I know this will jeopardise my chances of it!

What can I do. I know I followed all the correct procedures at the time! I am really scared about the effect this is going to have on my life and ability to buy a house!

Can someone please advise me and what I can do, and what is the liklihood of anything happening.

I have spoken to them before, but they said because of how old the account is, they cannot access it and I have to wait for someone to call me back in 24 hours.

Surely they would have needed to inform me in writing if this was going to happen. I can request to listen to the recordings of the phone calls from when i cancelled etc cant i??? :'(
    Tags: None

Re: can someone please advise me! STRESSED **BT**

Are you sure its BT THAT HAS PLACED THE MARKER ON YOUR CREDIT FILE
    BT are one of the few companies that do not report to your credit files

this smells of a debt collection agency

can you post onto your thread that credit file part that holds this account

Comment

i can yes, how do i do it?

Its definately from BT consumer, no mentions of any debt collection agency on there at all.

Comment

think this will show the file....

Attached removed as it contained personal information, CB.
        Last edited by Curlyben; 11th November 2012, 20:23:PM.

Comment

Can I suggest you take your name & DOB off it.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
            Can I suggest you take your name & DOB off it.
            I dont know how to :S

Comment

If it is a screenshot then draw a blank box over the relevant details. If it is scanned then place a piece of card over the relevant bits.

Comment

strange this

what mobile do you have or broadband etc from back then
                Last edited by miliitant; 10th November 2012, 12:12:PM.

Comment

it was home phone and broadband. i am waiting for them to call me back on monday, as the account is old and on their old systems so only certain staff can access it :s the guy said the amount was for 84 pound something but that its not with a debt collection agency, they must have sent me another bill after i cancelled and moved. they obviously didnt send it to the forwarding address though, and nor have i received a notice of default. from what i have read, the law is that the company have to issue notice of default? we've just managed to get a deposit saved for a mortgage, this will stop me being accepted!

Comment

Something similar happened to me when I moved into my new house. I had my post forwarded onto me. I had some Scottish dca stating I owed AOL broadband 150 pounds.
                    I stupidly called the DCA. I explained I cancelled in the proper procedure with AOL and they gave me a cancellation number. As I had just moved I could not locate the cancellation number.
                    The guy on the other end said, thats fine! Pay today by debit card and I am sure AOL will refund you!!!!!!!! (No way!!!!!)
                    I sent a very strong letter to AOL in Ireland. I received a lovely letter back stating they accidentally sent it to a DCA! They apologized and said it had been taken off my records.

Comment

bump

Comment

ok i am about to write a letter to BT, now the question is....do I write it in a stern manner demanding them to remove the default and theaten legal action. Or do I write it in a way that they are likely to feel sorry for me? i guess this could make a big difference....

Any help would be appreciated

Comment

bumped or assistance, and I will ask an admin to obscure your real name for your own security

Comment

be diplomatic

dare i say, confirm it is british telecom and not some other company called bt

as stated, i have never known bt report to the credit agencies and this still smells of a dca

ask bt if they did default an account to begin with and register it with the credit agency

Comment

That's not official BT script or font..... that's not from BT.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X