• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell - Bought dubious debt and Defaulted me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell - Bought dubious debt and Defaulted me.

Some years ago I had a dispute with Barclaycard where they were the fourth buyer of a credit card that started with CSMA (opened in 1982) and went through MSDW, and Goldfish - all within about a year and was totally confusing, with me making standing order payments to previous owners, yet getting numerous default charges.

Anyway, Lowell bought this debt a year or so ago, and started writing demanding the debt be paid (which was disputed anyway due to past excessive card charges). Knowing the sort of company Lowell was, I ignored the letters.

Sadly though, they had me by the goollies as when I went to buy a car on a good interest free deal over 5 years, was declined. It turns out when I got a copy of my credit file that Lowell have a loan default registered against me for each month since they bought the debt. It is the only blemish on my record - all other credit shows a payment each month. As an aside, my wife bought the car in her name and got the deal, but I had to assign my cherished plate to her and notify my insurance company of the ownership even though it is practically my car on a day-to-day basis.

As I have now got almost two years of defaults on my record, the next step, obviously, was do do an SAR on them. Being an untrustful fellow, the SAR signature was done over a signature box that had been filled with squiggly lines. They cashed the cheque (written on my wife's sole account, to avoid having my signature!) mid-September and even if this date was used, the 40+2 was up yesterday. The letter stated that the cheque enclosed was only to be used for the SAR costs, and 'if less than £10 the remainder must be refunded. Under no account must the payment or any portion of it be used to credit the account'.

As expected the 40+2 date came and went with no response to the SAR - not even an acknowledgement. However, the day the cheque was cashed I got a letter thanking me of the £10 credit to the account and asking me to set up a payment plan!

SO, I have done them an SAR reminder letter stating:
    In addition, despite my SAR letter specifically stating that this sum must not be used to credit the above account, but only be allocated to pay for the SAR, you have used this as a credit to the account. This is evidenced in your letter to me dated 19 September 2012. As you have not allocated this sum to my SAR application, I must presume that you will provide at no charge and therefore you must refund to me the £10 paid. Please do this immediately.
    My logic is that as they have allocated the money to the account, rather than the SAR, they are indicating that the SAR will be done for free - and must therefore refund the money.

I based the reminder on the template on the ICO site, but left out the namby-pamby 'I would be grateful' bits (it's far too woolly when dealing with these scumbag companies). They have been given 14 days.

My intention is to then firstly refer the matter to the ICO; and secondly, to issue them a letter before action for the £10 and stating that should I have to issue a court action, I will be adding an administration charge of five hours at Litigant in Person rate of £18ph = £90.

I have mostly in the past chipped in to help others. I didn't think that I'd be on the receiving end of one of these scumbag companies. I suppose I should have gone down the 'prove the debt' route or s78 as soon as I started getting their letters, but I didn't. Looks like I'm going to have some fun with this. I'll update this thread as the matter progresses.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell - Bought dubious debt and Defaulted me.

One way to stop that is to write on the front of the cheque "Subject Access Request Only". I did that with Talk Talk some years a go and they credited it to my telephone account. When I complained, they refunded the £10 immediately and did the SAR free of charge.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

FWIW Esio Trot I believe you have taken as perfect an action to their skullduggery as possible. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        One way to stop that is to write on the front of the cheque "Subject Access Request Only". I did that with Talk Talk some years a go and they credited it to my telephone account. When I complained, they refunded the £10 immediately and did the SAR free of charge.
        Would that carry any legal standing or not? I guess it might as per F&F's

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Yet another NOOB here. I am in a very much similar situation - I have two - one with Lowell and one with Gothia. I don't recall receiving any Default notices but I did arrange payment with Lowell some time ago, which I have been doing for more than a year now. It will end in next year March, but I am very much disappointed that they have listed the debt as default even though I am paying it every month as per our agreement. Can anyone advise?

I am going to do the SAR letter to Gothia because I don't know what that is for and I have never heard from them, but I'm unsure whether I can send Lowell a SAR if I am already paying them.

Please advise away, and many, many thanks in advance!

v

Comment

You can SAR them at any time. If you don't know what the Gothia debt is and they have contacted you, send a Prove It letter before doing a SAR.

Are you planning on applying for credit in the next few years? If not, then TBH you might as well let them run their time and fall off your CRF. If you need credit and it is causing you problems, then you need to be doing everything you can to get the defaults removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
              In addition, despite my SAR letter specifically stating that this sum must not be used to credit the above account, but only be allocated to pay for the SAR, you have used this as a credit to the account. This is evidenced in your letter to me dated 19 September 2012. As you have not allocated this sum to my SAR application, I must presume that you will provide at no charge and therefore you must refund to me the £10 paid. Please do this immediately.

My logic is that as they have allocated the money to the account, rather than the SAR, they are indicating that the SAR will be done for free - and must therefore refund the money.
              Well, it's Round 1 to me.

I have just received my SAR file (pretty sparse it is too).

Also received is a cheque for the £10 that I sent in for my SAR, and that they wrongly allocated as a payment. The covering letter says that there is no record of them receiving my SAR request, hence it was allocated as a debt repayment.

There is no Default Notice in my SAR pack (not that there should have been) so my next move is to ask them to explain how and under what authority they are placing default markers each month on my credit file.

Comment

How's this coming on Esio?

Would you share the letter you wrote to them with us please?

Cel x
                "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                  Would that carry any legal standing or not? I guess it might as per F&F's
                  I agree with Labman.

QCK

Comment

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
                    Well, it's Round 1 to me.

I have just received my SAR file (pretty sparse it is too).

Also received is a cheque for the £10 that I sent in for my SAR, and that they wrongly allocated as a payment. The covering letter says that there is no record of them receiving my SAR request, hence it was allocated as a debt repayment.

There is no Default Notice in my SAR pack (not that there should have been) so my next move is to ask them to explain how and under what authority they are placing default markers each month on my credit file.

How can they possibly Default you but not have any default notice in the SAR response. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot!
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X