• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Linked Addresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linked Addresses

Hi I wrote to experian about linked addresses been on the file for more than six years

They wrote back and said

The Information Commissioner offers guidance on how long information is retrieved on a credit report.

Under principle 5 (Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes) we are able to keep the linked address data for as long as we deem necessary as long as we can justify the length of time.

im not happy that this guidance is subjective,

can I challenge this?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Linked Addresses

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...inciple_5.aspx

See 'Agreed Industry Practices' (towards bottom of page)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Unfortunately they are correct. The ICO used to say the information should be kept for no longer than 6 years, but this has now been changed to as long as they think there is a link.

I can see two routes you could take. One is to go to the Data Controller of the CRA and ask what their justification is for linking you still.

The other, and probably more likely to achieve a result, is to complain direct to the ICO.

Contact us - Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

Comment

Thanks Labman
        You have really helped lead me to what I need to do with this. I will write back to Experian and ask them for justification, if they dont provide me reasonable justification I will go to the ICO.
        Do you by any chance know the data controllers email address?
        Regards

Comment

Data Controller
          Customer Support Centre,
          PO Box 1136,
          Warrington,
          WA4 9GQ .

I also have this one on file for them:

Experian Ltd
          Customer Support Centre
          PO Box 8000
          Nottingham
          NG80 7WF

Both appear valid - the Warrington one is from their own website though!
          Last edited by labman; 16th November 2011, 09:49:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X