• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

3 Year Old Default

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Year Old Default

I was issued with a Default Notice back in May 2018.

I informed the credit card company I was unable to meet my repayments due to the fact I had a loss of income.

I was on Disability Living Allowance, but when I was asked to transfer over to PIP I lost the Daily Care Component, and had to go to Tribunal.

I made the credit company aware of these facts, but they weren't sympathetic and slapped the Default Notice on me.

I have since done a Notice of Correction on my credit file to explain what had happened.

Since the default was issued, now 3 years ago, I am finding obtaining credit difficult.

Although I've had a few loans from both Provident and Morses Club, I have now a proven track record since the default Notice of keeping up with my repayments and paying off the balances.

The gripe I have is that I have been with 2 banks, 1 with Lloyds for 8 years, and the other Nationwide for over 20 years.

Both of these lenders just refuse point blank to allow me a credit card, even though I have always maintained my accounts in good order.

When I asked Lloyds Bank the reason why I was declined, they said it was because of the Default.

I said its now classed as historic due to the age of it, they refused to budge.

Any advice please as I would like a credit card for emergencies only, but also to help improve my credit rating.
    Tags: None

Have you tried a soft search to see if any other Credit Card provider will provide you with a Credit Card account?

There are other entities that provide credit cards, retail organisations etc.

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/.../defaults.html

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Have you tried a soft search to see if any other Credit Card provider will provide you with a Credit Card account?

There are other entities that provide credit cards, retail organisations etc.

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/.../defaults.html
      I have, I'm unable to get credit because of the default, I've tried several card companies, including the banks I've quoted noone will give me credit.

Comment

google credit cards for poor history - google but be careful expensive

Comment

Have you tried credit unions, but you will need to open an account for a period of time with them I believe.

Comment

Have you tried credit unions, but you will need to open an account for a period of time with them I believe.
            I have they want you to have your benefits paid into them rather then your bank so I won't touch them.

Comment

O.K.. write a letter to the credit card company, explain as you have very clearly above, that you were Defaulted because of circumstances outside of your control and you shouldn't have been Defaulted, thus punished because of those circumstances. The Default is stopping you conducting transactions in the way you want i.e. over the internet, which is easier for you then going to the shops because of your disability. Ask them to review their decision in light of this, get a final response.

Once you get a response you can consider writing to your banks.

Comment

O.K.. write a letter to the credit card company, explain as you have very clearly above, that you were Defaulted because of circumstances outside of your control and you shouldn't have been Defaulted, thus punished because of those circumstances. The Default is stopping you conducting transactions in the way you want i.e. over the internet, which is easier for you then going to the shops because of your disability. Ask them to review their decision in light of this, get a final response.

Once you get a response you can consider writing to your banks.
                Thank you will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky4Seven View Post

Thank you will try that.
                  I have sent an email today to the CEO of New Day Ltd formally requesting the Default to be removed.

Even though they had initially agreed to not chase me for payment, I think to Default me when I lost my benefit due to a review, I felt I was treated unfairly, and I kept them informed at all times of my financial situation.

If they refuse to remove the Default, what can I do?

The Financial Ombudsman Service are a waste of space and will ultimately side with the credit card company, so won't bother with them either.

Comment

As long as a true event like many of us it stays job problems etc we had it stayed

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                      As long as a true event like many of us it stays job problems etc we had it stayed
                      So I can't get it removed even though the circumstances were beyond my control!?

Comment

I've just looked at Experian this morning and my current credit score is 576.

Its obviously the Default which is why I cannot get credit.

New Day Ltd have refused point blank to remove the Default, and I had at the time gone to the FOS who sided with the company as they would do.

So I'm stuck with an unfair Default for another 3 years.

The Notice of Correction has done nothing for me either as lenders are clearly ignore that.

Comment

Contact CAB, do it by email, explain that you informed the Credit Card company that you had difficulty making payments because the Government stopped your disability payments, you forewarned them that you would have to Appeal which meant payments couldn't be made and they still defaulted you. This is 'unjust', ask if you would be covered under the Disability Discrimination Act.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...debt-problems/

Comment

Contact CAB, do it by email, explain that you informed the Credit Card company that you had difficulty making payments because the Government stopped your disability payments, you forewarned them that you would have to Appeal which meant payments couldn't be made and they still defaulted you. This is 'unjust', ask if you would be covered under the Disability Discrimination Act.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...debt-problems/
                            Thats a very good idea, and I will look into that. Thank you x

Comment

I opened a case with the FOS some time ago regarding this lender. Can I go back to the Ombudsman and ask to reopen the complaint with a view to now claiming I suffereed Disability Discrimination as my disability benefits had been drastically reduced!?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X