• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bank breaking data protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bank breaking data protection

Advice please. I received a £50 cheque other day from Bank regards a loan which was paid end 2010 & closed by bank Jan 2011. They said that I had been incorrectly charged £50 in 2007 by collection agency and they were refunding as should not have been charged. To cut a long story ..looks as though a number of people have received similar and so std correspondence. How my issue differs is fact that Bank has quickly admitted that they have sent all this to the wrong person. That my old loan was never outstanding etc and never in collections. Basically that an outsource company are at fault here as they surced my details incorrectly. Person should have gone to had same surname, similar post code, a male and younger age group. I was then asked if I had children!! Please advise on date protection law & what my financial claim would be here please.
    Tags: None

Re: bank breaking data protection

Claim for what?

Comment

My claim would be the fact that my details were given to the outsourcing company by the bank when my contract was with the bank only..isnt that contravening data protection Act 1998?

Comment

Originally posted by Tammie View Post
        My claim would be the fact that my details were given to the outsourcing company by the bank when my contract was with the bank only..isnt that contravening data protection Act 1998?
        I can't see anything whatsoever to claim for at this point a mistake was made it seems but you have been compensated.
        I suspect that some where in the banks Terms and Conditions that it may share data with third parties.

nem

Comment

The letter with cheque states: We applied a £50 charge on your loan when we arranged a transfer of your debt from bank to J & J Collections which we should not have charged. I'm sorry that we applied these transfer charges in the past and this is to let you know that we are committed to putting it right. We should not have charged for transferring

It took me several telephone calls to query this letter as I had not been in collections. Noone could give me any info on my closed paid off account, nor the cheque. Not until I sent an email to chief execs office was anything looked into. I was then told that this LETTER AND CHEQUE referred to someone elses account ..not mine and such a thing had only happened once before. I'm awaiting executive office a letter to clarify.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to query how sharing of data was set up..whether there was a contract agreement in place for sharing of the data and whether the outsourcing Company worked under instruction from the Bank.

Comment

Several people on here my family included have received the same seems to be a phising exercise trying to get debtors to contact debt collectors

Comment

Outsourcing is common many financial organisations outsource " back office " function.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X