• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

S78 and T&C's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S78 and T&C's

Just a question.
    In a S78 request if you get a copy of a signed agreement that includes the PTs but a completely separate set of T&C's with COPY stamped all over them and then a leaflet with current T&C's as well as a statement does that comply?

Also on the DN for this account it says that they may terminate the agreement but I have never had a termination notice. If that is the case can they demand the full amount ?

Just a couple of thoughts really
    Tags: None

Re: S78 and T&C's

Yes the agreement that you signed has to have the prescribed terms contained within it, however the rest of the T and cs can be embodied in the other associated documentation.

Strictly speaking if the default notice does not say that the agreement will terminate on xx/xx/xxx then there should be a termination notice, that is unless there is a clause in the agreement which mentions it, in practice it would not be enough to render the notice invalid in any case.

Comment

Thanks
      What I was wondering is what makes the connection?
      There is reference to the attached terms however there is nothing on the terms that suggest they are linked to the application.

As for the termination notice , well in an ideal world they would be one and the account would be sold as the DN is not exactly ideal if you get what I mean

Comment

Yes an ideal world LOL

The prescribed terms and the signature have to be part of the same document(section 61(a), where as the rest of the terms can be in documents accompanying the signature doc(s)(61(b)).

Comment

I think you are looking at this through the "wrong end of the telescope" so to speak.

A reply under s78 does not need to be a document which is in the prescribed form ( per the Agreement Regs) , and i would start by asking you when you signed that document, did the terms and conditions get presented to you then? The difficulty is with s78 that the agreement they send doesnt need to be an exact photo copy of the agreement you signed, so you need to start by considering what was present when you signed the agreement not what they send under s78 .

There is binding authority that says the prescribed terms must be contained in the document signed by the debtor , but document does not mean one single page, it can be several pages for example.
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hmm John says that he got a "copy of the signed agreement", so I take it to mean that this was an actual copy, presumably this is what they would be using to enforce, so perhaps section 61 compliance would be more important,

When was the agreement executed John.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
              Hmm John says that he got a "copy of the signed agreement", so I take it to mean that this was an actual copy, presumably this is what they would be using to enforce, so perhaps section 61 compliance would be more important,

When was the agreement executed John.
              Far too often clients seek to rely on s78 to challenge s61(1)(a) compliance. Waksman made it clear that s78 cannot be used as a benchmark to test s61 against.

While the signed document may have been provided, it does not mean that the terms provided with the signed agreement were not part of it or in the alternative were not part of the overall document again complying with s61(1)(a)

The real question here for John is simple, what was presented to you when you signed the document ?

Heres a case i did which highlights the issue of compliance with s61(1)(a) http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

In my very humble opinion, & at the (very real) risk of being shot down in flames, HHJ Waksman drove a coach & horses through the four corners' rule as per CCA 1974.

In several cases (ie Wilson, Sternlight, Carey) he referred to various authorities but also added his own bits, effectively moving the goalposts, so now lenders can refer to the t&C's written on the back of a fag packet located in some far-off planet! (ok, an exaggeration, perhaps! )

Substance & not form, my aunt Fanny! (there, now I've said it!) eep:
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I took it to mean that the document that john refers to was a photo copy of the original agreement, if this is the case and the Pts are indeed part of the signature document it would comply with section 61a, this would be the agreement he signed.

The rest of the schedule 1 terms could be separate from the signature document at execution of course and still be compliant under section 61b
                  Last edited by andy58; 30th July 2013, 21:18:PM.

Comment

What did I receive, well firstly it was applied for online in march 2004. For my S78 request I received one sheet that had both my basic internet application and a copy of an agreement supposedly signed by me, another sheet that was a larger copy of the same agreement . There is reference to paragraph 11 of the attached T&C's . I also received a copy of all the T&C's that were stamped with a "copy" stamp on each page. There was however nothing to link the T&C's to the the agreement. It was only a small amount (under £400) and less than 1% of my overall debt
                    These are the T&C's that i got, I can not currently post up the original agreement as it has my details all over it..although many people know who I am anyway
                    The internet application says RBS Advanta although it was definitely a MINT card that I applied for...maybe just a change of name

MINT CCA (3).pdf

PT, I suspect that what you are asking is , were the T&C's provided with the agreement when I was asked to sign it and return. I do not think so but my problem would be proving it

Comment

It's not so much proving it as it is telling the court what happened in a fashion that they think you are a credible witness (not a guesser) and the other side not being able to refute your version of what happened.

Therefore it is quite important how you come across in all dealings with the court in order they have no reason to doubt you.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                        PT, I suspect that what you are asking is , were the T&C's provided with the agreement when I was asked to sign it and return. I do not think so but my problem would be proving it
                        Well, unless you are bringing the action against the lender, then it is the lender who has to prove the T&Cs were with the documents you signed.
                        They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
                          Well, unless you are bringing the action against the lender, then it is the lender who has to prove the T&Cs were with the documents you signed.
                          Sadly no it is not.

There are numerous first instance decisions that say the obligation is on the Debtor to make a positive assertion as to what he or she signed.

For example, HFO v Patel, HHJ Platts said that where a debtor wishes to allege improper execution he must specify what provision of the regulations has been breached and explain why the agreement is improperly executed.

Putting the creditor to proof will not win it.

As we are seeing daily, the courts are quite happy to presume that there was a compliant agreement as a starting position and the debtor has the uphill struggle of proving to the contrary

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                            Jon

I guess youve read Wegmuller? We had the same issues there as you speak of here, it is not always as hard as you think to prove these things, lenders make errors, its finding them thats the hardest thing.

Comment

Thanks all. I somewhat doubt that they will make a claim against me, the amount is low, I have no income or assets there is the question of just how good the DN may or may not be along with the lack of termination. I will most certainly NOT be asking any court to make a judgement unless I am dragged in there kicking and screaming.

Mind you Moorcrap are just that, I phoned to find out which debt they wanted to visit me about (another one) so I sent the generic leave my doorstep alone. I then get a letter about one account using the name for my MINT account and a letter for my MINT account using my name on my other one (same name just one is my sunday name, the other is my used name). The idiot on the phone was most put out when I replied to his "you have had the money so pay back" as that is totally irrelevant in these circumstances as the accounts are in dispute.
                              If anyone wants to see a list of my debts they can go to what was an orange site and look up my UE diary...makes for scarey reading

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X