• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Get Haggling!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Haggling!!!!!!!!!

How to bag a bargain: Don't be so British... haggle
    Haggling is not a very British thing to do, but as household finances are squeezed, more consumers are keen to get a bargain.
    Retailers are also struggling as household spending is curbed, so now is a good time to get discounts. Here are some top tips:
    1. Always haggle on car prices, particularly second-hand ones. Eight out of ten consumers say they never accept the forecourt price. Be confident, show you know what you're talking about and use some charm - it might just work.

2. It is often possible to negotiate a discount on jewellery and electrical items, especially if you are buying more than one. Try for at least a 10% discount. Use internet sites, such as pricegrabber.co.uk, to search for the cheapest price, then use the information to bargain with the retailer.
    3. Try haggling when buying furniture and household items, though this is tricky in High Street stores. However, discounts may be available for ex-display items.
    4. Mobile phones, broadband services and insurance are other areas where you can haggle, though this usually works only when an existing customer is threatening to leave to go to a competitor. Ask your provider to better any new quotes. 5. Students and pensioners can often get discounts. Ask if it is not obvious what reductions are available.

Re: Get Haggling!!!!!!!!!

The above is good advice but I would add that the key thing here is never be so enamoured with the deal that you are not prepared to walk away.

One of the most powerful words you can use in any negotiation is "No" and if you do not get precisely what you want then simply leave - there are plenty more places you could get that item or service these days.

Comment

I must admit I did find it emabarrasing and I know I shouldn't.
      I did it for the first time on my cooker and dishwasher, it made the salesman laugh cause I am no pro at this, but I did get free instalation saving me £27 plus free delivery another £10 so I was quite pleased.

Comment

I have to haggle everyday as part of my job. In an average week I can save my gaffer somewhere in the region of between £300 and £3000 per week..............and do I get any thanks..............do I buggery(Well, apart from having a job and getting a wage )

As I do this naturally at work it carries across to my own purchases. If I ever buy anything I will argue the toss even if it means only getting £1 off or something extra thrown in for free, but it does work, be confident and if you don`t ask you don`t get.

I would also agree with Cetelco, never ever be afraid to walk away from a deal or purchase if you are not 100% happy with it. Set a budget limit for the thing you are wanting to purchase and stick to it, if it`s over that budget, you can`t afford it anyway.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I'd like to add something here.
          Having worked 10 years in retail, Oddbins the Wine merchants, I have had my fill of people attempting to haggle.

Now while there is nothing wrong with the idea, please bear in mind that some shops have ZERO leeway on the price.
          If that's the case don't push it as you will merely serious annoy the person that's trying to assist you. As you know it's better to have a shop worker ON your side than not. Things go alot smoother that way.

Ta </mini rant>

Comment

I like a good haggle, two years ago my Mrs was after a new car, so off we went to the showrooms where she took a fancy to a shiny new vectra with a price tag of £14,600. I haggled and walked out twice only to be called back by the dealer and finally strike a deal at £9,600, a very cool £5,000 savings. I was nearly lucky enough to lose the Mrs at the same time because she was so embarrised at my cheek, she threatened to leave me if I kept on haggling. :tinysmile_grin_t:
            Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Anyone watched "Don't get done, get don?"

Comment

I have Tom and I sometimes suspect that the shopkeepers suspect something is a foot lol.
                He is very good though when he is relaying to a shopper and telling them what to do and say.
                He is also on the One Show BBC1 at 7 oclock but not every night and he gives some good advice.
                Anyone fancy a go here is his website BBC - Consumer - TV and radio - Be on Don't Get Done, Get Dom

Comment

I suspect its the camera crew that gives it that "oh F**** I'm on TV" feel, lol, but it is interesting when he sends them into the shop on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyolddog View Post
                    I like a good haggle, two years ago my Mrs was after a new car, so off we went to the showrooms where she took a fancy to a shiny new vectra with a price tag of £14,600. I haggled and walked out twice only to be called back by the dealer and finally strike a deal at £9,600, a very cool £5,000 savings. I was nearly lucky enough to lose the Mrs at the same time because she was so embarrised at my cheek, she threatened to leave me if I kept on haggling. :tinysmile_grin_t:
                    WOW you can can shopping with me any day good on ya,
                    SL xx
                    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

When we were in Italy a few years ago with my Aunt and daughter we were haggling on thre beach for a bag from one of the beach sellers, I was drawing in the sand a lower price and my daughter thought it was a good game so drew in the sand a higher price than I had already got it down by....... I won in the end though ....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X