• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Save for Next Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save for Next Christmas

soooo, the OFT and CAB reckon we should all start saving for next Christmas.I totally agree and that is exactly what I say I'm going to do every year. Except life gets in the way, you know, like eating, fuel, council tax etc, and generally living. So then come November I realise I only have one payday left, from which to "do" Christmas. Everything. The lot. Unfortunately as we never have any spare cash after carrying out the mundane task of living and actually surviving from one month to the next, this is a really tall order. Never more than this year.

So anyway, I am absolutely determined not to be in the same position for next Christmas.

My original plan is/was to save a fiver a week from the end of January (can't start before then as I will be living on crisps till next payday so will need the fivers to buy the crisps with lol)
    My secondary plan (and I think a good one) is to carry on doing the online surveys with Lightspeed, Valued Opinions, Ipsos etc, save up all the points earned and don't redeem any at all, then in about October, redeem as many points as I can for Boots, Argos, Paypal etc vouchers. Use vouchers to sort out Christmas. Job done. No stress. Sorted. So far I have earned enough points just on Lightspeed to buy £10 worth of vouchers, in about 6 weeks, so I reckon I should have a couple of hundred quids by next October. I think this is a good plan because it's not as if I'll have money stashed away that I will dip into whenever I'm skint (which is often lol)

So come on everyone, put your ideas on here so we can all work towards a stress free, no money worries Christmas 2010. :-)
    Is no longer here

Re: Save for Next Christmas

Start buying things for next xmas in the sales special offers etc with the fivers before you get a chance to dip into them.
    Put the fivers in an online account that takes a few days to get back to your bank account.
    Empty all your change into a sealed pot - that needs a lot of unwrapping or smashing to get into.
    Keep the fivers up the attic or somewhere not easy to get to, but safe.
    Start a xmas club at work that needs 2 signatures to get fivers out.
    ANything you buy online - use one of the cashback sites - I made £355 this year just by using quidco.com for the things I would normally buy online.

Good Luck

Comment

We save all our small change and once a month take it to Morrisons then exchange it for stamps.
      Wends have a go at stopping the old coughing weed lol you will feel tons better health and wealth wise :snowbal:

Comment

Well I'm gonna take Enaid's advice to Wendy and try and stop smoking. First day, New Years day. Wanna join me Wendy?

Has anyone tried selling stuff on ebay? Was thinking about trying that as well.

And the small change in a large, hard to get at jar.
        In order for evil to triumph it is necessary only that good men do nothing.

Comment

Already do the small change, not to the extent of not spending any that's still in my purse though. As for the coughing weed, I deliberately didn't mention it cos I know I won't do it. I have cut down, so will try to give up, but don't hold your breath.
          Ebay - yes I've tried it, have made money selling unwanted stuff Tony has sorted out of the garage etc, also horsey stuff which we seem to collect then never use.
          Is no longer here

Comment

Order shopping vouchers from Park Christmas Savings then you HAVE GOT to pay them off, you can order enough to make it £5 week.

Don't forget the £2 coin and small change savers club on Beagles.

This is what I've started ready for Christmas 2010:

£2 coins - started.
            loose change jar - started.
            Vouchers and a meat hamper from Park - ordering next week.
            Holiday being booked during January to start 26 December, that way we HAVE to pay it off.
            Was going to have a break this year but bought a new TV with our £2 coins and loose change money instead.
            Also don't forget to buy your cards, wrapping paper and tags in the sales now, and buy a book of 2nd class stamps each month too. That way come August/Sept or October time you can sit down in the sun and get those cards written ready to post on 1st December, and get that horrid job over with, and if you buy any pressies during the year you can get them wrapped and out of the way. Better than leaving it all till the last minute as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

You could try Simply Drop , its a recycling scheme for brokem and unwanted technology, ipods, cameras, phones etc, its run by the Royal Mail.
              Luminol x

Comment

Originally posted by Luminol View Post
                You could try Simply Drop , its a recycling scheme for brokem and unwanted technology, ipods, cameras, phones etc, its run by the Royal Mail.
                Just got £27 for my cranky old phone:santa1:

Comment

I've picked up a savings card at Asda today, and going to make sure I put a minimum of £2 per week on it [started today], or more if my shopping is under my weekly budget - that's just over £100 [at least] by Christmas. I'm also doing the lightspeed panel surveys, plus several others, and build the points up for vouchers [altho' I'm planning on using those for my little 'luxuries' like moisturiser etc from Boots, rather than out of my wages]. Also signed up to Quidco, as per Emeralds tip, and I'm continuing putting silver in a jar in my cupboard [ that started last year but, like Wendy, I tend to dip in when I'm skint!]

Comment

Have used Simply Drop before, got a good price for Oh's old mobile phone. You need to shop around the recycling sites as prices vary from site to site depending on the model. Another good one is to recycle printer cartridges for cash, I did this and got over £70,in one go. unfortunately this avenue now closed to me as the boss has decided to recycle so I can't get my mitts on the cartridges any more....you can get 3.50 a cartridge for HP ones.
                    Have signed up to Quidco and will get an Asda card next time I go.
                    Is no longer here

Comment

So how are we all doing?

I've just reduced my house building insurance by £126 per year so have a extra £10 per month to put towards nexr nex xmas - wil put it in an instant saver i already have open and linked to bank account.

Comment

I'm still saving for last Xmas!!!
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

well I got up to £125 but was so skint last month that I spent it all except a tenner. However today I am back up to 45 courtesy of a 30 win on the Irish lottery and a £5 tip from a customer in the bookies. Need to book for the showjumping comp at David Broomes soon though so will probably put that towards it. So although it won't be for next Christmas, the putting to one side does come in handy.

The survey stuff is doing well and remains completly ntouched as I haven't claimed any of my rewards, which stand overall at about 45, so not doing too bad on that front.
                          Last edited by WendyB; 1st March 2010, 10:19:AM.
                          Is no longer here

Comment

I'm still saving the £2 coins and loose change, its going well, thank the lord.

Comment

I've got almost £30 on my Asda card, built up £49 with Quidco with a couple of bits I've bought, plus buying my car insurance via there. I'm still doing the surveys, so they're building up abit as well. I've not really got anything in my silver jar tho', as I try not to get cash out of the bank if I can help it - rather pay by debit card, cos I only spend any change thats in my purse!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X