• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fraud

a family member set up internet banking on my wifes halifax current and fleeced her in small amounts of 10-50pounds totalling round about £2000.We cannot find out if she is entitled to get this money .Police are involved but say they cannot get it back for her.Halifax says it is down to police investigation At no time did halifax inform my wife of all this money going out to one payee.she now has to apply for a basic bank account instead of a full current account and feels like a suspect She has been told by halifax fraud department that moneys paid using online payments to gaming sites will be put back into her account but cannot be used for 3 months help needed.
    Tags: None

Re: fraud

May Heaven save us from Hull, Hell and Halifax!

Comment

Your final recourse is to sue the family member for any monies not recovered or refunded by the Halifax. As that would probably be a waste of time, you are left with whatever goodwill gestures the Halifax feels inclined to make.

What is the reason given for the 3 month embargo?

Comment

3 months while they investigate Why have contact details if they are not going to use them to tell you when your acount is being robbed such as 11 withdrawals in8 hours

Comment

3 months for investigation

Comment

If these transactions were unusual for your wife's usual transaction history, Halifax need to explain why they failed to flag this and check with your wife as to whether she authorised the transactions. If they did not, Halifax could be liable, no matter how much they argue and wriggle.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The problem I see is that the account details, access codes, etc., were freely given to someone else.

The implication could be that it is tantamount to permission to use the account.

(Just playing Devil's Advocate here - personally I think it is a despicable abuse of trust!)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

no permission to use the account bank card with all account details on was stolen while she was asleep.bank card then returned once details had been used on internet.this was done in march.First she knew was when tesco declined her card on 4/7.what happened to Halifax security!! I finally got online and could see straight awayher account had been plundered.No contact was ever made by Halifax.Wheres the protection on her account.

Comment

Keeping customers money secure is certainly their responsibility. To that end, their focus is more on attacks on the banking system itself, although obviously they will try to detect suspect transactions in general.

However, the customer also has a responsibility to keep the key to the door secure. The bank is likely to take a jaundiced view of a situation in which it is a family member who has committed the theft - insurance companies certainly do.

It should also be borne in mind that there are innumerable online gaming and gambling nuts with exactly this sort of transaction history, all of which is legitimate.

To have a claim against the halifiax, it would be necessary to show either that there was a contractual obligation or a duty of care that they did not discharge.
                  Last edited by enquirer; 16th July 2013, 11:02:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trucker2917 View Post
                    no permission to use the account bank card with all account details on was stolen while she was asleep.bank card then returned once details had been used on internet. this was done in march.

First she knew was when tesco declined her card on 4/7.what happened to Halifax security!! I finally got online and could see straight awayher account had been plundered.No contact was ever made by Halifax.Wheres the protection on her account.
                    Can I go back one step? The family member set up internet banking, is that right? Did that family member then tamper with her mail since online banking would not have been set up until such time as the account was verified and I would have thought that online banking today would require something via the post?(of course the fact that he had the card in his hand is bad enough).

I am not sure the bank is actually at fault, they are going to refund the gaming sites stuff but not the personal payments because it is not quite clear why that it took 4 MONTHS to spot the issue and only when her card was refused at a store. Was her bank statements not read? Did she not get mini statements from the cash machine and wonder where certain monies were going to?

there is something about the case which means that whilst the gaming sites stuff is being refunded there are question marks over the due diligence of the person who's account it belonged to in the first place. Hmmmmm.......
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

What is there to say that the family member wasn't intercepting correspondence from Halifax? I've come across this and if the bank noticed transactions that were not in keeping with an account holder's normal spending pattern, why did they not alert the account holder. My bank has done this very promptly in a couple of cases involving my account and I have to say their security and fraud prevention set-up seems to work.

Comment

If the OP knows the person who used the account via the internet they must produce the evidence and get police involved for the bank to take it seriously . All internet use from a computer comes from an IP address unique to a compuetr this can be traced,i would suspect the bank might think the Op knew of the transactions and as stated by others on here its the duty of the account holder to protect their details,if a family member used my account without my knowing I would be straight to the police

Comment

the police fraud team are involved,thesuspect is being sought by the police,have you ever tried to contact the halifax fraud team?She has spoken to the plastic team but cant get through to non plastic team.she is passed from pillar to post.been in branch today as instructed by the police met with manager in a meeting no one else available to deal,try again tomorrow.Police are being great

Comment

Should get a result but will take time Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by trucker2917 View Post
                              the police fraud team are involved,thesuspect is being sought by the police,have you ever tried to contact the halifax fraud team?She has spoken to the plastic team but cant get through to non plastic team.she is passed from pillar to post.been in branch today as instructed by the police met with manager in a meeting no one else available to deal,try again tomorrow.Police are being great
                              Police officers are the last people bank managers like to see come stomping into their branch, believe me. Especially if the police officers are armed with a court warrant or consent form signed by an account holder.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X