• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HSBC Charges... Can you get your money back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBC Charges... Can you get your money back?

Hi all,

I noticed that many people have managed to have claimed charges back from HSBC. Unfortunately I know very little about my legal/financial rights and wouldn't know where to start, let alone know if were eligible to claim any back.

I have (with HSBC)...
    - An account with Metropolitan at the moment
    - A bank/current account that has suffered many times at the hands of the "informal overdraft" charge, despite asking HSBC to never grant this, but instead to decline the card... they refused, I suffered more charges.
    - A credit card being paid off by a set amount through standing order each month. HSBC agreed that Collections would not call me asking me for the past due if the S/O was successful each month... I've learnt that their promises are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I suppose a lot of this was down to inexperience and carelessness with money from the age of 18, tied with being either being self-employed or on a low income. I'm 22 now, have grown up, learnt more about finance and am on the track to getting back in the black within a couple of years.

Where do I start? ... about finding out whether I can claim anything back and for just learning more about my rights financially, and the legal system governing it in the UK.

Even if I cannot claim anything back, hopefully I will come out with more knowledge about a subject a know little about (sorry that the post is so open-ended!)

Russ
    Tags: None

Re: HSBC Charges... Can you get your money back?

Metro are HSBC DCA, charges reclaim is a very hard area, unless you can prove Hardship, even on that from I have been fighting for 4+ years now = Overdraft charges which over years + interest exceeds any outstanding amount, as far as HSBC calls are concerned on the credit card front, bring to the attention of Metro the occurance s and refer to any agreement on that front, but no doubt HSBC Muppets, are ringing on a number not 1471 able i..e. call centre in Mumbai. or Manila (near Asia Mall ) Phillipines.

Sure others may comment also on here. We all make mistakes, but unlike ****ers (sorry Bankers) an apology to select committee will not work for us.

Comment

Re: HSBC Charges... Can you get your money back?

As Mike says above, reclaiming charges isn't easy, especially after the court ruling in Nov 2009, in favour of the banks. :rant:

It may still be possible to reclaim if, for example, you were in receipt of benefits.

If you are keeping up your arranged repayments on your credit card they shouldn't be ringing you at all! I'd be writing to them, saying something along these lines:

Dear Sirs

Account/Reference No: xyz

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I am receiving from your company, despite having agreed with your Collections department that they would not call me as long as I kept up my repayment arrangement. I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls and I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only. I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable to a substantial fine and/or other sanctions as they see fit. Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company may be recorded and used in evidence and I expect this harassment to cease immediately.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X