• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NatWest Credit Card query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NatWest Credit Card query

Hi All

I submitted a SAR to NatWest card services who eventually came back to me with statements back to 2001 as this was then they implemented their automated information retrieval system they informed me.

My question is does anyone know if they hold information pre 2001 on microfiche or any other form and they maybe are not giving this to me due to the fact it may be time consuming to manually retrieve?

I'm looking for info going back to the beginning of 1998-2001.

Thanks in advance.

japjox
    Tags: None

Re: NatWest Credit Card query

NatWest would on an Archived system for current accounts so I would be surprised if they did not have an archived system for credit card info.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      NatWest would on an Archived system for current accounts so I would be surprised if they did not have an archived system for credit card info.
      Thanks leclerc - Do you mean they would have it on microfiche? or if not microfiche, would it be likely to be an archived system deemed to be a relevant filing system in the eyes of the ICO and should be supplied as part of a SAR?

japjox

Comment

Unless a data controller has a very good reason for not providing you with information you have requested by way of an SAR under Section 7, Data Protection Act 1998, they are obliged to provide you with the information you have requested.

Btw, BT are shockers for non-compliance with SARs. I've had experience of it.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by japjox View Post
          Thanks leclerc - Do you mean they would have it on microfiche? or if not microfiche, would it be likely to be an archived system deemed to be a relevant filing system in the eyes of the ICO and should be supplied as part of a SAR?

japjox
          No I'm not saying microfiche but I am saying that they may have the info but I am not sure 100%. We really need someone who used to work/currently work in NatWest Credit card centre who will know their systems. I only know NatWest CURRENT ACCOUNT systems and not their Credit Card system.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I have had a SARS request turn up with current account statements going back to 1998, i beleive, and also have an enquiry on-going about a credit card account. If it is any help, the credit card team are based in Southend-on-sea, and if you write to them directly stating your SARS request i see no reason for them NOT to supply you back that far. My printed statements stopped in 2002, and the rest came in the form of a print-out on sheeted plain paper, so somebody must have" loaded " the data to the machine. I do feel that they may hold information going back even further than my 1998, but i have no need to go back that far.
            Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by brummie View Post
              I have had a SARS request turn up with current account statements going back to 1998, i beleive, and also have an enquiry on-going about a credit card account. If it is any help, the credit card team are based in Southend-on-sea, and if you write to them directly stating your SARS request i see no reason for them NOT to supply you back that far. My printed statements stopped in 2002, and the rest came in the form of a print-out on sheeted plain paper, so somebody must have" loaded " the data to the machine. I do feel that they may hold information going back even further than my 1998, but i have no need to go back that far.
              Hope it helps.
              Thanks brummie - that's really useful info.
              I have had my SAR with NatWest cards in Southend and they have sent me back 2001 after a few letters back and forth. All the info are actual copy statements to 2001. They said that is when their automated retireval system started, so that implies earlier info is on another system that requires some manual intervention to retrieve the info.

How far back are you looking to go with your NatWest credit card? and what sort of response have you had so far from NatWest card services in Southend?

I'll keep you informed as and when I hear further from NatWest card services.

Thanks

japjox

Comment

My response from Southend was rather a hurried one, i believe, for them to fall in line with governing response times by the FOC. My original SARS request culminated in a very busy post-man delivering all sorts to my door, and Southend's reply was to request more information to be provided by myself. I duly replied the next day with the information they requested, but as yet no reply. This is fine, as in my opinion they are failing to supply the request within the given times regulated. Please make sure you document, date and use a recorded delivery service for all your correspondance. One usefull tip is to go into a Nat west branch and get them to fax your stuff to Southend and then give you the fax print-out.
                I am sure that if you had a credit card with them dating pre-2001, then your account info will be available. My case is a little more complex as i am claiming PPI for an account that was held jointly with my late wife and myself - the account doesn't go back that far, but never-the-less.....

Comment

I hope it works out for you brummie and you get back what was wrongfully taken.
                  I'm pretty confident NatWest have the data on an archive system, so i'm going to write to them this weekend.
                  Will post back here when i get a response. They actually reply pretty quickly.

Comment

It may sound tedious.....write to them, then fax the letters from a branch, then write to them again with a photo-copy of the fax transmition data and your recorded deliviery receipt. They will soon get the message that your not messing.....

Regards,
                    Brummie.

Comment

There is an issue with SAR's at the moment over the fee, and what is considered a 'reasonable' effort to retrieve data. If it involves a huge amount of manual work, I'm not sure they do have to provide absolutely everything.

£10 is already a fairly insignificant fee for the amount of information they usually provide, albeit much of it computer generated. Anything over and above this is arguable. Like you I always argue absolutely everything should be supplied, but I don't always succeed in getting it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X