• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Llyods Overdraft Account Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Llyods Overdraft Account Dilemma

I am trying to help my friends son out with a llyods overdraft account he has.

He has a £1400 overdraft limit and it has reached its limit but he does not have enough money to make much payments and the interest & charges have made the balance at present approx £1500.

He has tried to ask lloyds to freeze interest & charges so that he can bring the balance down but they have refused. He also asked them to close the account and then whatever payment he would make would lower the balance until it cleared but they also refused that too.

So he is between a rock and a stone at the moment and is really worried that he will never be free from this.

Any ideas on what the best way out of this is please or anyone else?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Llyods Overdraft Account Dilemma

Originally posted by jumper999 View Post
    I am trying to help my friends son out with a llyods overdraft account he has.

He has a £1400 overdraft limit and it has reached its limit but he does not have enough money to make much payments and the interest & charges have made the balance at present approx £1500.

He has tried to ask lloyds to freeze interest & charges so that he can bring the balance down but they have refused. He also asked them to close the account and then whatever payment he would make would lower the balance until it cleared but they also refused that too.

So he is between a rock and a stone at the moment and is really worried that he will never be free from this.

Any ideas on what the best way out of this is please or anyone else?

Thanks in advance
    Does he have any priority debts(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities)?
    Section 9 the lending code, financial difficulties.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks lec, no he does not have any of those as he is living at home with his mum............just pays for housekeep and shopping when needed.

He does not have any assets or savings either.

Comment

Still worth a read of the lending code IMO. There's a lot there as Leclerc correctly highlighted. I'd also suggest he needs to open a parachute account with another unrelated bank if he has not already done so.

Comment

Thanks casper but reading the lending code and going through all the complaints procedures and unfairness of things will take forever. I think it would be better to get him to default and then come to an arrangement with the DCA as this will take forever as it has to get lloyds to agree to an arrangement as they will not listen and keep continuing to add interest and charges.

Comment

even though he is at his mum's has he had a drop in income as a result of less overtime,. etc, etc

Comment

Yes he used to work for the NHS but was laid off last year as they had to cut back and let some staff and as he was not there long he was one of them.

He is now driving part time as a taxi driver for somone and looking for another full time job. Work has not been good for a while and he is trying his best but no use at the moment. He does not have any other debts and has never had any and is worried about this quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jumper999 View Post
                Yes he used to work for the NHS but was laid off last year as they had to cut back and let some staff and as he was not there long he was one of them.

He is now driving part time as a taxi driver for somone and looking for another full time job. Work has not been good for a while and he is trying his best but no use at the moment. He does not have any other debts and has never had any and is worried about this quite a lot.
                BINGO, he needs to explain that he needs help because in spite of living at home, he lost his job last year and is currently only working part time whilst looking for full time work. He has a temporary cash flow problem and needs the bank to help him in the short term.

Comment

..... as per the Lending Code I believe. Jumper, I wasn't suggesting going through the entire complaints procedure. Often making the bank know you're aware of it can produce some fairly dramatic results - I've seen it several times.

Hopefully the route of temporary help highlighted above will solve the problem now anyway.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Thanks lec & casper great advice guys

Comment

I would go back to lloyds and explain under BCOBS that they have a right to treat people fairly so a repayment plan offershould be accepted

Comment

Originally posted by jdes26 View Post
                        I would go back to lloyds and explain under BCOBS that they have a right to treat people fairly so a repayment plan offershould be accepted
                        The Lending Code section 9. If you are quoting BCOBS and treating customer fairly, the bank have had a duty to do so for sometime prior to BCOBS. Which specific part of BCOBS do you think will help in this specific instance(since the more info the better. If you are suggesting simply saying BCOBS, in general, the bank will not necessarily do what we need them to do. If you are specific then the impression you get is that someone knows what they are doing/saying).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X