• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Charges sent me over my overdraft limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Charges sent me over my overdraft limit

The bank had slapped £125 worth of charges and put me over my overdraft limit This means that next month I wiil have a further charge

The problem arose when i was not paid for a temporary job due a mistake made by the company concerned and some DDs were missed. The bank were fully aware of the situation
    Tags: None

Re: Bank Charges sent me over my overdraft limit

OK, so what is the question?

Comment

Whoops!! Can they do it?

Comment

Santander have previously played hardball with me when it comes to fees - I got a long letter off them a few months ago explaining why their fees were legitimate and why they wouldn't be refunding them etc. (the usual pompous drivel from them).
        However, when I noticed that they were going to charge a fee this month for paying a direct debit which took me £5 over by overdraft limit, I used their new online message system to plead my case - they responded by agreeing to cancel them because the amount was small.
        I don't expect this to be the answer every time, but always worth trying, particularly if their fees cause your account to go over limit.

Comment

http://www.lendingstandardsboard.org...endingcode.pdf

Have a read of page 28 onwards. May give some ammunition for a letter.

Comment

Guys if the Bank Charges arose due to an error by the employer, then the employer is liable to pay the cost of the bank charges incurred for late payment of wages as its classed of financial deteriment and if the wages were contracted to be paid on a certain date it would also be classed as a breach of contract, which once the wages were paid would have been remedied.

So you need to contact the Employer Chris1943 and inform them that as a result of the wages being paid in late you incurred £xxx amount of bank charges (this is the charges you incurred as a result of not being paid on time only including any further charges for being taken overdrawn as a result). Therefore the employer is liable for the financial deteriment (bank charges) you incurred as a result.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks a lot for that will let you know what happens next

Comment

Your Welcome. If the employer does not comply and compensate you for the charges you incurred as a result, then let us know as we can then help you take it further.
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

This argument is getting sillier. The bank have charged me for an unpaid DD which is paid to them in respect of CC payment CAn they do this

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1943 View Post
                    This argument is getting sillier. The bank have charged me for an unpaid DD which is paid to them in respect of CC payment CAn they do this
                    yes they can
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

They can'y really fail to make money can they

Comment

They can'y really fail to make money can they
                        these things are automated so there is no concept of making or not making money

Comment

They are at it again Last month yet again charges for going over my overdraft limit because of their charges from the month before. Result 4 Direct Debits with a total of 14.34 were rejected andthey charges me £100 in charges. i have already got a formal complaint in which is being investigated. I am never going to get this on an even keel They have offered to refund 1 as a gesture of goodwill. One of the DDs was for £1.60!!!

Comment

Why are you still using those w:censored:ers bankers to pay your direct debits?

Do you also walk around with a sign on your back asking people to kick you?

Comment

They are at it again Last month yet again charges for going over my overdraft limit because of their charges from the month before. Result 4 Direct Debits with a total of 14.34 were rejected andthey charges me £100 in charges. i have already got a formal complaint in which is being investigated. I am never going to get this on an even keel They have offered to refund 1 as a gesture of goodwill. One of the DDs was for £1.60!!!
                              Then why not use the proportionality argument, ie that you are continually incurring charges on charges and that the last amount is disproportionate, ie £14.34 and £100.00 charges meaning that you have £85.66 less for other bills.
                              Are you behind on any priority debts, ie mortgage/rent utilities?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X