• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SAR help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAR help

I wrote to barclays wanting access to my personal data. They wrote back with the following

We write further to your letter of recent date.

With reference to your subject access request under the Data Protection Act [the Act], we confirm that you request is now underway. In consequence, the material that qualifies for disclosure as your "personal data" will be supplied within the statutory 40 calendar-day period.

Please be aware however that not all information is covered by the Act and some information may be exempt from disclosure.

In order to ensure safe delivery of the information in due course, please indicate on the enclosed form details of the branch from where you wish to collect the package; this should be returned to the Bank bearing the date and your signature.

Please note you will need to present suitable identification documents (e.g. UK Passport or full driving licence) when attending the nominated branch.
    So my questions would be

1) Do they have the right to insist I pick up the material from their branch?
    2) When i specifically stated a signature is not required for a request, just the I be identified, they have requested I sign and return a form electing my local branch to collect data. What do you make of this (I included a utility bill copy with my original request).
    3) What data that a bank has about me is 'exempt' ??

Cheers all
    Last edited by shamen; 27th August 2010, 10:44:AM.
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Re: SAR help

If it were me, I would write back to them requesting that they post it to me.

If they require a signature then what is the problem with providing it?

Comment

Dont want any possible photoshopping going on basically
      Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Comment

You are writing to a bank and presumably they have your signature on a number of documents.

Do you have a cheque book or a debit card for example - it's a bank, not a DCA.

Comment

Anything they have with my signature on is nearly 15 years old now, the only (possible) exemptions there being two CCA's from 2003 - im pretty sure it was all done online tho. If they dont have them I would prefer not to give them the opportunity to now have them signed

Comment

Then you might have to suffer collecting your data from the branch.

Comment

I was thinking the same. Ive crafted a response and we will see how that goes. No way im signing their form, looks like some guy has knocked it up on a laser printer, not even headed. Interestingly the return address where they want me to send this form is up in Knutsford near Manchester. IIRC they used to send regular stuff from Northampton and the 'Give me your money' from Manchester so im a little cautious.

Comment

Your address is proof enough as to your ID specially as you have sent them a utility bill.

If they where happy sending statements, cards etc to this address then what is the problem.

PF
                If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Just sign something other than your usual signature if you are that concerned.
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

and put a line though it, that way if it does show up you will know.

PF
                    If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

And a smiley face of the pope
                      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Well they got this today

Dear Sir/Madam,
                        Thank you for your response to my Subject Access Request and confirmation that my personal data will be provided within 40 days of the receipt of my request (zz/xx/2010). I will be happy to collect the Data from the XYZ branch of Barclays Bank (address here) on or before the expiry of your statutory time frame of 40 days (zz/xx/2010). Please let me know the date that I can collect the Data at your earliest convenience.

I will be happy to present photographic documentation confirming my identity, such as my Passport, when I collect the Data. You are hereby notified that while I am happy for your staff to inspect my identification to verify my identity, I will not allow your staff to make copies of my identification when I present it.

To clarify, I have been in contact with the Information Commissioners office and have been informed that Section 7, para 3 of the Data Protection Act grants you only the right to confirm my identity in order to disclose data under the Subject Access Request. It does not grant you the right to make copies of, or keep copies of my personal identification. As I will be making available my photographic identification to be inspected by your staff in the branch, this satisfies the requirements of the Data Protection Act in order to release your response to my Subject Access Request.

If you require more than the viewing of my identification (for example if you wish to photocopy my identification), then please include in your response to this letter the requirements you are making and under which part of the Data Protection Act you are making these requirements. Conversely, if you are satisfied that the viewing of my photographic identification conforms to the requirements of the Data Protection Act in order to release Data to the Data Subject, then please confirm this in your response.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter, I look forward to receiving your response at your earliest convenience.

Comment

I had this problem with HSBC. Just stick it out, you will get the info without having to sign their DPA Request forms eventually.

Comment

Success! The SAR response has arrived at my local branch today, bang on 40 day deadline. No signatures required! I just need to show them photo Id when I pick it up, which they will not be making a copy of.

Ill be off to pick it up later and sift through it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X