• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EXC v Lloyds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXC v Lloyds

To: Mr Archie Kane
    Group Chief Executive, Insurance
    Lloyds TSB

Dear Mr Kane

I wish to register a complaint with Lloyds TSB and yourself in particular.

My complaint relates to a letter from Lloyds TSB (attached) informing me that due to my account being overdrawn by £3, you were unable to execute an unspecified number of payments for which you will be charging me an as yet unspecified amount.

For the avoidance of doubt my complaint does not relate to the level of the fees whatsoever, whatever they may be. The substance of my complaint is directed at how these fees were calculated and set by Lloyds TSB, specifically with regard to the ‘’agreement’’ that Lloyds TSB has with the banking industry in maintaining them as per your statement in evidence in answer to question #366 to the House of Commons Scottish Affairs Select Committee on 19 March 2009:

‘’The banking industry has generally come to an agreement that they will charge certain amounts for overdraft letters.’’

Uncorrected Evidence 319

I would remind you that Select Committee guidance requires that ‘’In particular, witnesses should answer questions put to them by a committee carefully, fully and honestly. Deliberately attempting to mislead a committee is a contempt of the House, which the House has the power to punish’’.

As you will be aware Select Committee witnesses such as yourself are supplied a transcript of what was said in oral evidence, inviting them to make any corrections prior to the committee publishing the corrected transcript. As your statement is retained in corrected form you clearly considered it unambiguous enough for inclusion in the corrected evidence.

To that end I am entirely satisfied that you were truthful in what you said and that the industry ‘’agreement’’ is a matter of fact, leaving me to conclude that the fees your bank impose on me are set by reference to an arrangement with businesses otherwise unconnected with Lloyds TSB.

You should be aware that in addition to my current account I hold a substantial investment portfolio with Lloyds Private Banking which also attracts fees and so my wider concerns are obvious. I chose Lloyds because I trust (or trusted) them to offer me an honest and competitive deal.

I can only assume that this ‘’agreement’’ was made by the ’’cartel’’ referred to by Lord Falconer when he said:

‘’If you go overdrawn, as a group, the banks have almost certainly charged people hugely unfair rates, done it together, so that you can’t move from one bank to another to get relief from the charges. They have behaved badly…..somebody has now got to do something about making the banks properly charge fair rates to people and not take advantage of the cartel they operate.’’

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Question Time, 26/11/2009

Clearly your evidence to the committee raises very serious questions. It confirms that Lloyds have indeed taken advantage of me and no doubt a significant number of their customers. In doing so Lloyds have contravened vast swathes of UK competition law, too numerous to catalogue here.

No one likes being taken for a mug. I note that in the attached letter Lloyds takes the view that ‘’We know going over your account limit is sometimes unavoidable’’. By colluding with others to artificially maintain charges you impose on me which you know to be ‘’unavoidable’’ is, by any standards imaginable, a serious abuse of your position and my custom.

Therefore I require from you a written undertaking that under no circumstances will any fees relating to unplanned overdrafts of any kind be applied to my account until such time as Lloyds TSB publicly withdraws from the ‘’agreement’’.

As per the FSA’s complaints handling rules I expect you to resolve my complaint within 8 weeks of it’s receipt.. If I am unsatisfied with your response I fully intend to issue a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

EXC

Re: EXC v Lloyds

Nice one pal
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

I wish you the best of luck with this and look forward to updates as it progresses.

Comment

Had this back from the MD of Lloyds Banking Group Scotland.

Quite how she expects anyone to believe that 'The banking industry has generally come to an agreement that they will charge certain amounts for overdraft letters' was 'not intended to convey that there was an industry-wide agreement on the specific level of these charges' I don't know.

I'll respond once I've done a bit of research and sought the view of the Scottish Affairs Select Committee.

Comment

Oh Eck lol

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

Quite how she expects anyone to believe that 'The banking industry has generally come to an agreement that they will charge certain amounts for overdraft letters' was 'not intended to convey that there was an industry-wide agreement on the specific level of these charges' I don't know.

I'll respond once I've done a bit of research and sought the view of the Scottish Affairs Select Committee.
            Thats something for you to get your teeth into!

Don't know if you saw Dispatches on Chanel 4, but this episode was particularly good and does make reference to City of London Corporation providing the "opportunity" to reach consensus on "certain issues". Quite an insight into the way the banks want to run not only their affairs, but the UK's.

Here is the link: How the Banks Won (49 mins) [S]

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3079724
            Last edited by orc; 18th June 2010, 15:05:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

How about you don't respond to her at all?

You wrote to Mr Kane, not her and you did not ask her to reply. You were explicit and unambiguous in your request for a written undertaking from Archie Kane regarding any fees that may be applied to your account.

Far be it for me to tell you what to do but if, as Susan Rice states, Lloyds really do "...compete aggressively on all matters of product and pricing" perhaps you might suggest to Mr Kane that they do so in relation to your investment portfolio held with their private banking division?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X